First youtube video of me all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masamunexc

Reaction score
Hi all, thought I'd share my first youtube video here, I'm making a 10 gal batch of Dunkelweizen, its presently the 2nd week in the primary ferm, going to transfer into the kegs in a couple more weeks I think. This is also the first brew day with my new 15 gal kettle and banjo kab6 burner, before that I was using the old keggle for strike water, sparging and as a BK. This is so much nicer. Also my first time fly sparging which worked quite well, 86% efficiency means this brew its going to be a potent one! Cheers! :mug:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig-zqjRyIUw[/ame]

Matt A

I like the hop " tea bags". Is that how you can get them where you live? Never saw those before, but have heard of them. The fermenter looks a lot like my old Cooper's Micro Brew FV. It's great for 6 gallon batches, or 5 gallon ones that produce a lot of krausen. Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

A very well shot, well made video. Thanks for sharing.

If you are planning on growing your YouTube channel, here are some things I learned (planning on starting my own soon):

People buy people - There are thousands of brewing videos, be on camera more, speaking to US. Your channel will grow quickly (if people like you, of course). Some of the channels I follow are constantly surprised at how few views they get on a time consuming/well produced video and then they post a VLOG and they get record setting views. All about the personality.

I would work up some kind of intro and/or clever thumbnails. Lets people hone in quickly to your "brand".

Those are the main things. Keep up the good work!

:mug:

I like the hop " tea bags". Is that how you can get them where you live? Never saw those before, but have heard of them. The fermenter looks a lot like my old Cooper's Micro Brew FV. It's great for 6 gallon batches, or 5 gallon ones that produce a lot of krausen. Let us know how it turns out! :mug:

Hi, that was actually the first time I have used muslin bags to contain the hops, I normally just dump them in but since I don't have a hop filter in the BK it all ends up in the fermenter. I think using the bags is a great idea but I found that the small ones I have might be a bit too small because the hops swell up a lot and I worry if there's enough room inside to allow good hop utilization. I think i'll buy some bigger bags the next time.
I'm Canadian but I lived in Germany for a while and brought that fermenter back with me, they are quite common there. I like it as a primary because there's lots of space and I don't need a blow off tube. Cheers!

A very well shot, well made video. Thanks for sharing.

If you are planning on growing your YouTube channel, here are some things I learned (planning on starting my own soon):

People buy people - There are thousands of brewing videos, be on camera more, speaking to US. Your channel will grow quickly (if people like you, of course). Some of the channels I follow are constantly surprised at how few views they get on a time consuming/well produced video and then they post a VLOG and they get record setting views. All about the personality.

I would work up some kind of intro and/or clever thumbnails. Lets people hone in quickly to your "brand".

Those are the main things. Keep up the good work!

:mug:

Hi thanks for checking it out and giving some input. I might do some narration and be on camera more in any future videos I make if any. My angle for this video was that when I watch brewing videos these days I find a lot of people are just standing there talking and I just want to see how they are doing it so I skip ahead lol. So I tried to keep it short and sweet basically.

Here's another thing I did with videos. I use windows movie maker 2.6 (or current) to put videos & slide shows together with titles, effects & such. All contained in the program. It also has provisions for 2 sound tracks, however you care to use them. I used a small microphone plugged into the the tower. Mine has provisions for headphones, mics, etc. Others are USB. That way, you can use the throat mic to narrate your videos post-production, like the bbq pit boys, for example. Or set the level of the video camera's sound track, with you narrating over that. I also have done some new video intros that're about 30 seconds long that I'll start adding to the beginning of my various videos. You'd click & drag the intro into the first frame in WMM, then start adding the sections of your video. WMM sets it up as video sections that you have to insert one at a time. But it's not as hard as it sounds, once you get into it. You can tell which " section" is first, second, third, etc. WMM just makes your videos look a bit better imo. There's also a DVD maker that's really cool to use.:mug:

Windows movie maker is what I used but I downloaded it and made the video in one evening so I haven't learned all the effects it has to offer. I found it to a great program to use though, strange that its not included in windows 10 and I had to search for it on google. What is your channel name? I'd like to see your stuff.

Excellent video. One of the best I have seen.

For your next video you could just add text screens, for newer all grain brewers, to expand on what is happening. For example; The draining of the wort from the mash tun. Text to explain why the valve is not full open.

It is easier to pause the video on a text screen than try to go back to a rambling, as in some videos, verbal explanation.

Nice brew house also.

watching people brew never gets old! Thanks for the video!! :mug:

I actually just shot some footage of my Wife brewing her first beer yesterday. I'm going to use Windows movie maker to edit it up and make a good video for her.

22°C (~72°F) room seems a bit warm for most ales considering the fermentation vessel will rise several degrees above ambient.
...and the music (thankfully there's the volume slider for this) :D

Nice video though.

Great video, I really enjoyed watching you make that batch. One thing I would suggest that I notice is missing in a lot of the online videos is we see the whole process to make the beer but then there's never any finished shots of the beer! I know I appreciate seeing that part as well, and I'm sure others do too. So yeah keep up the good work dude, will be checking your stuff out

22°C (~72°F) room seems a bit warm for most ales considering the fermentation vessel will rise several degrees above ambient.
...and the music (thankfully there's the volume slider for this) :D

Nice video though.

Yeah the music is optional haha, I was going to go with some bagpipe music but the track wasn't quite long enough :rockin:

Besides putting something like towels as you did over the top of your mash cooler I've found that putting a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the mash inside the cooler works well to reduce heat loss.

I do 10 gallon batches too and shaking that much wort in the fermenter is tricky for me so I use a combination of a DIY venturi tube on the tubing which drains from boil kettle into the fermenter and also an aquarium pump with air filter and ss air stone to aerate which I run for an hour or so after pitching.

Very nice video! Were you holding the camera with your right hand or was it attached to your body somehow?

Great video, I really enjoyed watching you make that batch. One thing I would suggest that I notice is missing in a lot of the online videos is we see the whole process to make the beer but then there's never any finished shots of the beer! I know I appreciate seeing that part as well, and I'm sure others do too. So yeah keep up the good work dude, will be checking your stuff out

Thanks for watching! I actually will be taking a video of the kegging process and I'll show the final product in another video when its all ready. Cheers!

Besides putting something like towels as you did over the top of your mash cooler I've found that putting a sheet of aluminum foil over the top of the mash inside the cooler works well to reduce heat loss.

I do 10 gallon batches too and shaking that much wort in the fermenter is tricky for me so I use a combination of a DIY venturi tube on the tubing which drains from boil kettle into the fermenter and also an aquarium pump with air filter and ss air stone to aerate which I run for an hour or so after pitching.

Very nice video! Were you holding the camera with your right hand or was it attached to your body somehow?

Putting some aluminum foil over the mash does sound like a good idea actually, I'll try that next time. I've wondered about using an air pump to aerate the wort, I might have to put that on the xmas list this year lol.
I recorded the video with my phone (samsung S4) in my hand yeah, maybe someday I'll get some kind of tripod stand or something because its not easy to do alone like that

East Coast Lifestyle shirt and Sobey's shopping bags, whereabouts in the Maritimes are you from? :mug:

Cool video by the way.

East Coast Lifestyle shirt and Sobey's shopping bags, whereabouts in the Maritimes are you from? :mug:

Cool video by the way.

Haha, I didn't even notice there was a Sobey's bag in there. I grew up in Yarmouth, and most of my family is in Halifax. However I've been living in Central Ontario for the last 20 years but I'm a very proud Bluenoser and I go back at least once a year to visit, I love it there. Cheers!

Back