NB RyePA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Got this on sale....gotten away from kits but will still do AG kits however with extract I typically convert recipes and work off of ultra light extract....I don't like extract kits usually. Anyways I try this out and do my typical partial boil with about 1/3 of the extract added initially to keep hop utilization stable but add the rest at flame out to minimize caramelization. I've done even all extract at flame out plenty....so to the point, I keg this couple days ago and taste it today and man am I dissapointed. First off it doesn't even resemble an IPA. Secondly it has a very twangy taste to it which I can only guess came from the rye extract? I posted a review on NB website and they responded via email saying that the twangy taste is likely because I added the extract in 2 parts (beginning and end) as opposed to all at the beginning like the instructions recommend hahahaha. This makes zero sense to me, I'm not some noob brewing my first couple batches here. if they want to reply and defend their kit at least back it up with some legit data!!

Back