Impact of additives on fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBone

Reaction score
Hey!! I started 8 days ago and already have (3) primaries going.

Brewed a batch of "Steam" beer yesterday, in which we used (2) cups of dextrose, irish moss, and another small packet of powder for "Body" (I know, I'm a dope, I forgot what it was called. Oh, ya. Maltodextrin). We used WhiteLabs 810 SF Beer Yeast.

My question: Do the additives (other than the LME and hops), impact the initial time to begin fermentation?

Well, your recipe is immediately suspect because you never mentioned using malted barley in any form whatsoever for your beer. I suggest doing a bit of recipe research before your next brew.

All judgment aside, unless the powder in question is some sort of preservative, it should have little to no effect on fermentation lag time.

Have you seen www.howtobrew.com? There's some great info there!

Yes LME is liquid malt extract
No the additives you mention should have no effect on time to initial fermentation. That will depend on the yeast strain, how much and how healthy the yeast you pitched was, the beers temperature and how well your wort was oxygenated.

GT

Latest posts

Back