extra water in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannypittman

Reaction score
I am messing around and experimenting. Everything I see says mash 1 qt of water per pound of grain. What happens when you use 1.5 qts per pound? This is on the stove infusion mash with no circulation other than me stirring every 5 - 10 minutes.

The general rule of thumb is 1.25 qt/lb, though I have recently been given some info on doing thicker mashes for certain English styles. If you go too thin, you need to monitor your pH closely.

I used to use 1.25 quart per pound, but I've recently been trying to have a slightly thinner mash, like 1.50 quart per pound, and having approximately equal sparge runnings. Approximately equal mash/ equal sparge. Good results so far!

When I calculate the volume of my strike water, I shoot for a nice round number that puts me between 1.25 and 1.5 qt/lb. On Sunday I brewed a stout. Beersmith told me to prepare 36.32 quarts of strike water and I went with 40 qt. (10 gallons) just to make the measurement easier. That put me at 1.38 qt/lb.

Back