6 Gallon Primary for 5 Gallon Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wup said:
I got a free 6 Gallon glass carboy, would it do for a 5 gallon batch as a primary? Or is it too small?

Thanks

Wup

you want a 6 gallon for primary because of the foam. 5 gallon for secondary is right because things settle down.

It will work great, as others have stated, but I will add that you would be well advised to use a blow off tube until the krausen falls back. You could also use some Foam Control Drops added to the primary when you pour in your wort. It will keep the krausen to a minimum, but I have still found the need to use a blow off tube with my 6 gallon Better-Bottles.

John

i would be wearly of only 1 gallon worth of headspace. I blew the off air lock straight to the ceiling with my big chocolate stout... and on top of that id say 1/8th of a gallon of liquid from foam came out. It was a ridiculous amount of Krausen.

If you use a blow off tube, it will work... I went with a 7.9G primary now, and keep the 6.5 gallon one in the freakin shower. HAHAHAH!!!

Back