Where is the best place to buy ingredients on the web?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

he-brews

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a place to buy everything for a bill and it be a lot cheaper than LHBS?

Austin Homebrew is where I get 90% of my grains etc. They have great customer service and everything I brew from them turns out great.

I've bought from northern brewer, rebel brewer, austin homebrew supplies, and midwest supplies. I've also experimented with the others but never purchased. Brewmaster's warehouse is also very good from what I hear. NONE of these places will be significantly cheaper than you LHBS. Any savings are probably eaten by the shipping costs unless you are buying large orders where you can get free shipping, or ordering enough for a couple batches at a time.

IMO, austin homebrew supplies is the best. My main reason is because they have reasonable shipping, good variety, and allow you to buy grains by the ounce.

If you have a scale and/or don't care about buying grains by the ounce, then northernbrewer has the best variety and selection of hops/grains.

Rebel brewer has the cheapest shipping, especially for small orders. I changed up a recipe and had to order some extra grains and a different yeast and I got $3 shipping for the order, when most other places would charge a flat $7 minimum.

rebel brewer is my favorite, hands down. Though, I would go with one that's slightly closer to where you live. You don't want your ingredients sitting in freight for longer than they need to be.

I get my stuff in 2 days. NB, Midwest and Austin are also very good, but take usually a week to get to me. I've not had any great experiences with BMW.

Brewmaster's Warehouse now has $6.99 Shipping, which is the difference for me. The rest are all just about the same price (Northern, Austin, and Midwest).

I ordered from Austin as they had the best selection at the time of my order (More hops than the competitors, and cheaper too). I would just advise against having them mill your grain for you. It is convenient as hell but when I received my grain order it was about 40% whole, untouched kernels.

I had to hunt down a fellow brew club member and trouble him with crushing my grains. Not a huge inconvenience but I didn't want 50% efficiency.

My LHBS is cheaper than any on-line place I have ever found, especially as I buy in bulk.

-a.

You've got it lucky then. the One LHBS around here is about 1.5x any online sales.

Midwest, Northern Brewer and Midwest have been where I've ordered consumables from, all have a great product and have been pretty quick. Average is about a week from when I place the order to when it's sitting at my house.

Williams Brewing.

It seems whenever there is a hop shortage they will have that hop for sale. Hell, I've made money off them reselling hard-to-find hops to friends.

I used to recommend Brewmasters Warehouse, but they've taken a week to email me that my order is delayed because they are out of stock of Fuggles and Wyeast London Ale. Now it will be at least until the end of the week until they have those items back in stock. The yeast I can understand, the fuggles I think is unacceptable. Customer service has gone downhill big time here - it used to be great, now I will be taking my business elsewhere. Check out the customer review section of the forums and you'll see others are experiencing the same.

I'm located about 30 minutes from Cincy, I'm about right in between Louisville Cincy and Lexington ky

You've got it lucky then. the One LHBS around here is about 1.5x any online sales.

Midwest, Northern Brewer and Midwest have been where I've ordered consumables from, all have a great product and have been pretty quick. Average is about a week from when I place the order to when it's sitting at my house.

The per lb price at the LHBS is a bit more expensive than on-line, but the bulk prices are much better once you factor in the shipping cost. A lot of homebrew stores will give you a price break if you buy in bulk.

I buy my grains from http://www.homebrewshop.com/
A 25 Kg sack of Maris Otter costs me $58.00
If I were to buy it on line and pay for shipping, it would cost me ~ $100

-a.

I'm located about 30 minutes from Cincy, I'm about right in between Louisville Cincy and Lexington ky

There is very good LHBS in Louisville, http://www.myoldkentuckyhomebrew.com/

They have a good selection and I think pretty reasonable prices. Cheaper if you don't have to pay shipping, depending on how far of a drive you are from Louisville.

Back