Building new Fermentation/Kegerator/Refridgerator Plan...need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWS

Reaction score
Need some help with an idea that has been running around in my head for a while. With too many tools in the garage my space is running out for my keezer and my fermentation chamber to be seperate.

I have been kicking around the idea of building a Fermentation/Kegerator/and a refridgerator idea for quite some time. My idea is sort of similar to this post but it would be a 2-chamber idea.

Here is a rough draft of what I am thinking...keep in mind I am no good with graphic arts.

Untitled4.png

The main idea is that I have (think) about a 4.2cf freezer that I have had for awhile. I was going to use this as the cooler item to feed into the "refridgerator/kegerator" side of the chamber. This would then be split vertically into the second chamber that would be the fermentation chamber being fed by fans pulling air into the chamber and pushing the warmer air back out in the refridgerator to be cooled again. Since the fermentation chamber needs to be warmer (mostly do ales, every now and then a lager) then my plan was to put the fermentation chamber on top of the freezer.

My question is (keep in mind that I would have fans pushing air around in the "refridgerator/kegerator" section to move air) would it be better to have the freezer on the bottom section or place it on top of the fermentation chamber as the link above has it? I'm not the best with the logistics about moving the air around and which situation would be the best about keeping the air in the refridgerator/kegerator then pushing the air into the fermentation chamber when needed.

BUELLER???

Anybody know whether it is better to cool at the bottom of the chamber and fan air up or cool at the top of the chamber and still push the air around with a fan?

My original thought was it would be easier to build with the freezer on the bottom, but after looking in the refridgerator last night the cooling system is at the top of the fridge and after thought that the cooler air would fall and the warmer air would be at the top, my thought changed to it might be better to cool at the top of the chamber and fan air down, then seperate the fermentation chamber and have another fan pushing air into it.

Thoughts?

Back