HERMS & PID Temp. Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malonja

Reaction score
I'm looking into upgrading/automating my brewery. I'm going to put in a HERMS system, using a copper coil in my HLT to controll my Mash Temp. Although I eventually will want to include electic heat into my brewery...for now I will be sticking to automating the mash and heating HLT and BK with my existing propane burners.

Nevertheless, I want to get temp readings (via temp probes in MT) fed to my PID Temp Controller. I want the PID Temp Controller to direct the pump to turn on as well as opening a seleniod valve leading to the coils in the HLT...depending on temp in MT and temp setting on the controller.

My issue is that I am certainly not an electrician, computer/gadget guy..... Would the PID temp contoller linked below be sufficient?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Omega-PID-Temper...QQcmdZViewItem

If so/not, what types of things should I look for in my PID Temp contoller?

thanks

The link didn't work for me but a quick search found one controller model number CN9000A.

It looks like it should work. There is a link on the auction to the manual. I suspect you'd want a new/different thermocouple than the one shown. I'm not a lab-gear geek so maybe someone with experience with omega will contribute.

First take a look at the manual and decide if you are up to setting this thing up. Lab equipment can be a bit more difficult to work with than consumer products.

Looks like it would work, but you'll need a submersible thermocouple (J or T type) in order to use it. Personally, I prefer the Ranco controllers. The ETC-111000 would probably work for you. It runs on 110-220VAC and can trigger the same.

PID controllers just turn things off and on based on a set point. Well, not exactly anyway.

PID stand for Proportional-Integral-Derivative. Basically a PID controller uses feedback from sensors that are connected to it to "learn" how the system as a whole responds. It then "understands" when it needs to turn things off and on, in this case the heating element. Anyway, this results in better temperature control than just a single set point on/off switch.

There's a good article on it in the Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Yuri_Rage said:
Looks like it would work, but you'll need a submersible thermocouple (J or T type) in order to use it. Personally, I prefer the Ranco controllers. The ETC-111000 would probably work for you. It runs on 110-220VAC and can trigger the same.

Yuri,

Thanks for the information. Could I get away with not having to put a hole in the side of my kettle for the sensor? Is the whole sensor cable submersible? If so, I could just run the sensor cable though the top of my kettle.

thanks

No sweat. I think PID controllers are a bit too complex for simple mash temperature control. You found a good price, so you might just go for it. McMaster-Carr sells thermocouples that would work.

As for the Ranco probe - the cable is submersible, but the probe itself is just "water resistant." I'm considering giving mine a thin coating of food grade silicone RTV to seal it, then dunking it in my mash for the same purpose.

Yuri_Rage said:
No sweat. I think PID controllers are a bit too complex for simple mash temperature control. You found a good price, so you might just go for it. McMaster-Carr sells thermocouples that would work.

As for the Ranco probe - the cable is submersible, but the probe itself is just "water resistant." I'm considering giving mine a thin coating of food grade silicone RTV to seal it, then dunking it in my mash for the same purpose.

HOW ABOUT a love controller ew-93520-00, wouldn't that do the trick. seems like a simple way to do what you are trying.

Todd said:
HOW ABOUT a love controller ew-93520-00, wouldn't that do the trick. seems like a simple way to do what you are trying.
Yup - that's basically the same as the Ranco model I was suggesting, and it's about the same price.

Back