questions on my next wheat beer (high gravity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
using 12 lbs. LME
no bittering hops
Cara-pils .75 lbs
or
Crystal 10 .75 lbs
no aroma hops

3 lbs of pureed bluberries in double mesh bag and placed in keg at kegging time

what yeast for this?

double pitch the WLP hefe say the 300
or
should i go with a single trappist high gravity yeast?

what specialty grains would you go with?
i chose these cause i wanted body and head retention with minimal flavors to cross with the blueberry.

Assuming you're making a five gallon batch, 12lbs of Wheat LME + .75lbs of Crystal will yield an OG of 1.074. That's a little high, but it's not outside the range of what I would use the hefe yeast for. I would, however, make a starter instead of just using two vials. I would also step the starter up a couple of times, so that the yeast is as healthy as possible for the larger beer.

The trappist yeast is fine too, but will give you a different flavor.

You're also contemplating whether to have no bittering or aroma hops? You will want bittering hops, not much but you will still want some. Also, the trappist will not give you a normal weizen kind of flavor, use the 300 and make an appropriate sized starter.

I would go trappist for your yeast on this one. Search for a clone of "Don De Dieu" and see what yeast is recommended for that. It is a very good high gravity wheat beer.

found one recipe (all grain)

10.0 lbs Pilsener Malt
1.5 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Aromatic Malt
2.0 lbs Corn Sugar

Hops (whole leaf) 1 oz Hallertaur 60 minutes
0.75 oz Hallertaur 20 minutes

Other 1 tsp Irish Moss (rehydrated)
Wyeast 3864VSS Canadian/Belgian Ale

14 days primary
14 days secondary

Latest posts