I secondary everything...am I missing something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GolgiApparatus

Reaction score
I seriously secondary everything, including cold secondaries from time to time. If I don't secondary, I feel like I didn't make a homebrew. Is there a prescription I can take or a possible Barleywine dosage? Right now I'm secondaring a post I put in a primary post,....But it didn't sit right.

It's a personal thing and while many people will say they NEVER secondary many will say they ALWAYS secondary.

There seems to be a thing where the NEVER people seem to look down on ALWAYS but in reality there is no real problem with going either way.

I ALWAYS because it gives my beer an extra two weeks before bottling and frees up a primary.

It's all personal choice with no right or wrong answer.

I used to use a secondary for everything, but when I started kegging I stopped. Now, if I'm doing a big dryhop, or have some other reason that I'm not kegging right away, I do use a secondary but it's rare. I usually leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks or longer, than keg.

I secondary for dry hopping and when I need to free up a primary but don't have an open keg yet.

Usually, my preferred method is to leave in primary for about 3 weeks.

I like to secondary everything, but I got a great deal on a bunch of carboys so I have the means to do it. If carboys were an issue, I would leave it in the primary for a month and then keg.

I tried skipping the secondary for a couple batches, but I was not as happy with the results. I have two batches in secondaries right now.

TL

You will find that the majority of ALWAYS's also keg. And it's not that we don't secondary the beer, it's just that the vessle we usefor conditioning (secondary) can also be served from. So the lines get blurred a little.

The only thing that seems to be consistently different is the amount of time the ALWAYS and NEVER's leave their beers in Primary.I find that those who keg secondary tend to let their beers sit on the yeast longer.

I secondary because I'm a newb and I have trouble keeping the sediment out when I siphon. This gives me 2 chances to get it right.

Plus I need the primary for new batches.

I will always go 2 or 3 weeks in Primary, and I guess I'd go secondary if I was looking for something uber clear or someting, but I'd rather keg it up and get another batch on!
Give a batch a shot and see what you think of the results. Personal choice for me.

I no longer secondary unless I'm adding something to it like fruit or dryhopping, otherwise I leave in primary for a month...After fermentation has slowed down, the yeast then go back and clean up the waste products they produced during fermentation (they're really efficient creatures if we let them be.)

Here's the "John Palmer" explanation,

The fermentation of malt sugars into beer is a complicated biochemical process. It is more than just the conversion of sugar to alcohol, which can be regarded as the primary activity. Total fermentation is better defined as three phases, the Adaptation or Lagtime phase, the Primary or Attenuative phase and a Secondary or Conditioning phase. The yeast do not end Phase 2 before beginning Phase 3, the processes occur in parallel, but the conditioning processes occur more slowly. As the majority of simple sugars are consumed, more and more of the yeast will transition to eating the larger, more complex sugars and early yeast by-products. This is why beer (and wine) improves with age to a degree, as long as they are on the yeast. Beer that has been filtered or pasteurized will not benefit from aging.

The conditioning process is a function of the yeast. The vigorous, primary stage is over, the majority of the wort sugars have been converted to alcohol, and a lot of the yeast are going dormant; but there is still yeast activity. During the earlier phases, many different compounds were produced by the yeast in addition to ethanol and CO2, e.g., acetaldehyde, esters, amino acids, ketones- diacetyl, pentanedione, dimethyl sulfide, etc. Once the easy food is gone, the yeast start re-processing these by-products. Diacetyl and pentanedione are two ketones that have buttery and honey-like flavors. These compounds are considered flaws when present in large amounts and can cause flavor stability problems during storage. Acetaldehyde is an aldehyde that has a pronounced green apple smell and taste. It is an intermediate compound in the production of ethanol. The yeast reduce these compounds during the later stages of fermentation.

The yeast also produce an array of fusel alcohols during primary fermentation in addition to ethanol. Fusels are higher molecular weight alcohols that often give harsh solvent-like tastes to beer. During secondary fermentation, the yeast convert these alcohols to more pleasant tasting fruity esters. Warmer temperatures encourage ester production.

Don't be confused here, he is talking about the secondary phase of fermentation...He is not referring to a "SECONDARY VESSEL" that is a big misnomer that people mistake, thinking that secondary phase of fermentation and "secondary fermenter" are one in the same,...The secondary is not the secondary fermentation vessel, It is a brite or clearing tank...A lot of people confuse these terms....That's why a lot of us purposely refer to the secondary as the brite tank.

BUT, as someone who used to secondary, my beers have improved in clarity and crispness by leaving them in primary for 3-4 weeks...

I now have all my judging sheets for the contests I entered into...and though I didn't place in them, my scores were decent, AND under the appearance category on all the beers I entered in both contests I scored high...and the judges, whether they like the taste of the beer or not almost ALL commented on the clarity.

In the case of my Rogue Dead Guy clone, one of the judges raved about the appearance and the crisp taste of the beer. He loved the ruby red jewel like nature of it.

SO it's a matter of choice, but I do think you lose some of the cleaning power of the yeast by racking to a secondary, and racking too soon.

I'm in the RARELY group. I leave it in the primary for 3 weeks minimum and bottle for three weeks minimum. I racked my last one to secondary for a week because I dry hopped the primary without a hop bag and I couldn't get the pellets to settle out.

IME, there is usually a fair amount of yeast still in suspension going into secondary after a week, so I don't think that a typical transfer to secondary is "taking the beer away from the yeast" - you are not filtering it, in a typical transfer.

One approach you could try if using secondary for my typical reason (one primary, 3 secondaries, not much space to add more primaries) would be to get everybody up in arms by transferring more-or-less as soon as the kreusen falls - while the yeast is still nearly all suspended. You'd still leave most of the trub behind, but get nearly all the yeast into the secondary. Then again, you could brew 4 gallon batches and use 5 gallon carboys as primaries...

Its been my experence that the best homebrewers watch every detail when they brew. Heres my deal......... Its my hobby so if I don't want to rack I don't and the beer is still good. Just have fun and don't make your hobby feel like a job!!!

IME, there is usually a fair amount of yeast still in suspension going into secondary after a week, so I don't think that a typical transfer to secondary is "taking the beer away from the yeast" - you are not filtering it, in a typical transfer.

One approach you could try if using secondary for my typical reason (one primary, 3 secondaries, not much space to add more primaries) would be to get everybody up in arms by transferring more-or-less as soon as the kreusen falls - while the yeast is still nearly all suspended. You'd still leave most of the trub behind, but get nearly all the yeast into the secondary. Then again, you could brew 4 gallon batches and use 5 gallon carboys as primaries...

Dropping early kind of defeats the purpose of racking at all though I think... You don't want to get all the yeast into the secondary just the healthy ones that haven't settled out. Papazain talks about a British brewery that 'double drops' their beer during high kreusen. I forget what it does but they seem to like it.

GolgiApparatus---funny name

He's either a medstudent, or a histologist...I'm actually running the AV support for a histo lecture right now, and my buddy the histologist just said the word as I noticed your comment. :D

315px-Human_leukocyte,_showing_golgi_-_TEM.jpg

In a droning professor voice..."the Golgei body packages said materials for secretion". Oh the memories.

He's either a medstudent, or a histologist...I'm actually running the AV support for a histo lecture right now, and my buddy the histologist just said the word as I noticed your comment. :D

315px-Human_leukocyte,_showing_golgi_-_TEM.jpg

Or he likes Phish:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really a personal choice, like how much hair gel to use, or if to use it at all. I'm bald so it's more of a Zen koan thing for me.

I pretty much dryhop everything, so I end up going secondary everything, but I generally only make APA's and IPA's. I have done the primary to corny thing and it works well also. You can also dryhop in the corny if you're so inclined. I believe that you can dryhop in the primary as well after fermentation has completed, but I never have.

Back