NB Honey Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I just brewed this kit last night, and had a question for anyone that's done this kit or any other similar brew.

The text of the general kit instructions say to add all fermentables, including honey, at the beginning of the boil. However, the cover of the box, which indicates times for boil additions, says that the honey is to be added at the end of the boil (1 min.).

I added the honey at 1 min., but does anyone know if this is correct for this kit, or whether similar recipes instruct you to add the honey at the beginning or end of the boil?

When I have used honey, I have added it at about 10 minutes from flame out. You want it to boil enough to be sterilized. 1 minute may not be enough. I would not be too worried. Honey is very fermentable by the way.

I just did a Honey Weizen kit from Midwest and the instructions said to add it in from 10-30 minutes before flameout (depending on how much of a sweet impact you wanted it to have). I put mine in at 20 minutes. Tasted it last night after 3 weeks and it's tasting great. Going to the bottle in the next day or two.

I'm guessing the very late addition will just have the honey stand out more than it normally would. You'll have to update this after it's finished up and let us know. :mug:

Did you guys use any honey malts with this? I brewed a honey weizen a little while ago and the thing dried out completely. This might be because I approached it like a braggott and used 3 lbs of honey and 3 lbs of wheat DME. How much honey did your recipes call for? I've been trying to get a sweet, light beer with medium body, but that's hard to do with honey as a primary fermentable.

mike

My recipe had a 65% wheat/35% barley LME (6 lbs.), a 1/2 lb. of carapils, and 2 lbs. of clover honey. Used 2 additions of Saaz, 1 oz. at the start of the boil and 1 oz. at 2 min. remaining. Honey went in with 20 min. remaining. Used Weihenstephan Wyeast #3068.

Of course I have no clue how it's going to turn out. I'll find out in a few weeks though. I'm bottling this on Wednesday.

My recipe was 6lbs of Wheat LME and 1lb of honey at 1 min. This is only my 2nd batch ever, so I'm very curious to see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back