Immersion Chiller Users - Do You Use a Pre-Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbus

Reaction score
My first go with my DIY immersion chiller went great, but got stuck around the 80 degree mark. Is using a prechiller worth the extra 30-40 bucks or are there better methods of getting down to 60 or 70 degrees. I'm afraid a standard 15ft pre-chiller isn't going to sufficiently cool down the water before it passes through.

I use hose water for mine until it gets down to about 80-90F then add 20 lbs ice to a 5 gallon bucket of water with a submirsable pump to finish off until it gets to about 65F.

I need a pre-chiller stat. My 10gal batches take 20-30min to get to 100*. I then just siphon into carboys and let sit overnight, pitch yeast the next day. I use 50ft of 3/8 ID tubing. 5gal batches aren't much better.

50ft 3/8" Copper
Fountain Pump in 5 gallon pail.
Run water into pail and pump through chiller until wort hits 100 degrees
Then add frozen water bottles and contents of fridge ice tray to bucket.

I'm thinking I need to come up with something to help things along. My tap water is warm most of the year so it cools down great to a point then slows down. I usually add a cold water bath toward the end to help things along.

I put my copper in coil in the mash tun and use a pump to circulate the wort through it. The tun is filled with water that is exchanged at regular intervals to remove the heat. When it gets below 90, I start adding ice to the tun. Theoretically, this set up could take the temp well below 40F.

In the deep South, use the IC to get down to 80 or so, then an ice bath to get to pitching temp.

I use 50' 1/2 inch immersion chiller. Using illinois tap water no pre chiller.

I get down to 80 in about five minutes. Takes another 7-10 to get down to 70.

Harbor Freight has very cheap submersible pumps. Thats where I got mine. If you dont live near one and dont want to wait for shipping you can always go to HD or Lowes garden center and pick up a fountain/pond pump.

I use a 20 ft 1/2" copper coil pre-chiller that I put into a cooler full of ice water. For 5 gallon batches, I'm down to 64 F in 10 - 12 minutes and for 10 gallon batches, its about 20 - 25 minutes to get to the same temp.

I think its worth it.

I get it down to 80 degrees with tap water, then place it in a rubbermaid type container full of cold water and a little ice, start a swamp cooler, and pitch about an hour later. No pre chiller... I don't really have a way to make/store that much ice anyways.

Latest posts

Back