Do you include rice hulls in grain bill when calculating strike water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help.
Brewing a wheat beer and about to heat up my strike water, however I am unsure if I include the rice hulls when calculating my strike water volume.

I didn't think about it as they do not mash into anything and just prevent a stuck sparge. But then I was thinking that they will absorb water so I may need to increase my strike water.

Thanks

Help.
Brewing a wheat beer and about to heat up my strike water, however I am unsure if I include the rice hulls when calculating my strike water volume.

I didn't think about it as they do not mash into anything and just prevent a stuck sparge. But then I was thinking that they will absorb water so I may need to increase my strike water.

Thanks

They will absorb a bit of liquid I would think, they will also at the the thermal mass, so they may also effect the temp of your strike water. Plug it in and see I suppose.

Correct...I don't have a precise number for you, but if you plug it in to something like Beersmith, you will see your volumes go up when adding hulls. It will probably also increase the strike temp because you will be adding to the thermal mass that needs to be brought to the mash temp.

Enjoy!

I "presoak" rice hulls in hot water before adding them into the mash tun. This way i don't have to worry about any extra calculations.

Thanks
I added about 1/2 gallon of water and yes it did affect my strike temp. I was off by 2 degrees, so I had to add some boiling water to get it to 151.

I "presoak" rice hulls in hot water before adding them into the mash tun. This way i don't have to worry about any extra calculations.

Same here, Ed Wort suggested this in one of his many posts. I simply mix them with some water from the HLT before I add them to the MLT, so they absorb the hot water and not the wort.

Same here, Ed Wort suggested this in one of his many posts. I simply mix them with some water from the HLT before I add them to the MLT, so they absorb the hot water and not the wort.

Same here. I don't know if the point has been made yet, though, but I actually toss the water that i pre-heated/soaked the hulls in. Do you know how dirty that water is?????

Back