Feelin your Oats Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeletor

Reaction score
Hey hey hey

Just bought everything for this recipe. Hoping to brew tomorrow. tried figuring out promash, but iono how it works... haha a little complicated, need some homebrewed assistance (beer)

Rahr 2-row 7lbs
Vienna 2 lbs
Special Roast .5 lbs
Crystal 60L .75 lbs
Flaked Oatmeal 1 lb
Chocolate Malt .5 lb
Black Patent .5 lb

1 oz. Williamette at 60 minutes
.25 oz. Cascade at 45 minutes
.25 oz Williamette at 30 minutes
.25 oz Cascade at 15 minutes

White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Hopefully SG = 1.050

5 Gallon Batch

and I will drink it, for it is beer.

Just still trying to figure out what works well together, seeing what people with more experience have to say about the recipe i basically made up lol

Just looking for like: damn those two malts together will contradict each other, or those two malts should taste great.

Idk :drunk:

Looks alright, though usually you'd use some roasted barley instead of the black patent. I always have thought of black patent for porters, roasted barley for stouts. The rest looks good, you could up the oats to 1.5 lbs if you want it really silkey.

If you don't have the roasted barley and you don't want to get it I'm sure it will be fine, the chocolate will give it some roast flavor.

Edit: I found that my oatmeal stouts needed to age a few (3-5) months to get really good.

+1 on the BP vs Roasted Barley. Stout = Roasted barley; Porter = Black Patent.

Omit the flavor/aroma hops additions. Let the bitter flavors come from roasted grains.

Increase the proportion of oats. I'd double the size and toast a pound of the flakes in the oven and let 'em mellow overnight.

Bob

Back