Advice on Citra (and a bit of an experiment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
Ok, so I have 4 Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier refills that I want to "try" and turn into a decent American Wheat Beer sort of thing.

My thought was to combine all 4 into a 4 or 5 gallon batch, throw in a pound of crystal malt to smooth things out a bit and then hop it up with some citra.

Here's my question. The hop profile tends to die off quite a bit in the older Mr. Beer HME cans. I can only assume these would have some sort of noble bittering hop and not much else and even then it'll be fairly subdued.

I like the taste of Citra but have never brewed with it before. I just want some of that fruity, citriusy kick on top of the wheat beer. I'll just use US-05 so as not to add any contributions from the yeast.

How much is enough or to much? Will an ounce at flameout or near the end of the boil do it? Could I dry hop some as well or is that pushing it?

Ideas and opinions welcome. . .

I've used Citra many times and exclusively on a few batches. In my experience Citra does not make for a good bittering hop.Stick with only late additions or dry hopping. The citrus/grapefruit profile is wonderful.

I only have 5 batches under my belt, but I'd hit it with a late addition of citra (1-2 oz.), and have some extra on hand. When you take your first hydrometer reading smell it; taste it. If its good, but lacking the aroma and flavor you want, then you can plan on dry hoping once you have consistent hydrometer readings. If you don't think it needs it, save your hops. If the beer just isn't good, save your hops.

Alrighty, sounds good.

Gonna go with a 2oz late addition and then go from there.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Latest posts

Back