Hop bag...squeeze or no squeeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
I've been using a hop bag/spider for my brews and I was just wondering if ppl squeeze them when removing or just drip drain? I've been just letting me drip/drain with a little squeeze. I can't imagine if I squeezed it that it would create any ill effects considering people who don't use the bags have all this material and wort in their kettle. Just curious.

I just let them drip and in reality I'm not all that concerned, there's usually less than a cup of beer in them:)

I'm a squeezer. I wait until they've cooled to <90F and, with a sanitized hand, squeeze all I can get out of them. Although the volume the comes from them can be significant (a quart or more on bit late hopped batches), most times I'm wanting to get that last bit of hop deliciousness for the fermenter :D

Wow, I thought I had read that it was bad to squeeze and you can get unpleasant flavors from that...must have heard wrong?

BAD IDEA! Do not squeeze. I just read from Gordon Strongs book "Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homebrewers" that it's not good idea at all. It can "horribly oxidize beer" and make it "taste like paper".

Can't bend that far...I don't squeeze the grain sack to hard anyway. Seems to work ok after it's had plenty of time to drain from sparging.

Back