What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcannon46609

Reaction score
I have not brewed in about 6 months and during that time I had a black ale kit sitting in a sealed container in my basement. I finally decided to brew it and 6 days later it is showing no signs of fermentation. I am worried that the yeast may have died while in storage. Any recommendations?

I have not brewed in about 6 months and during that time I had a black ale kit sitting in a sealed container in my basement. I finally decided to brew it and 6 days later it is showing no signs of fermentation. I am worried that the yeast may have died while in storage. Any recommendations?

When you say "no signs of fermentation" I'm wondering what you are using to gauge this. Is it in a bucket and you're basing it on the airlock? Is it in a carboy and it looks like there's no activity in the wort itself?

My suggestion is to first take a hydrometer reading to be *sure* that no fermentation is occurring. If the gravity hasn't changed from your OG, you can re-pitch with new yeast.

I'm assuming the yeast was in the basement as well? Did the packet have an expiration date? Was it in extreme hot conditions?

Good luck :mug:

What's the gravity at right now? If it hasn't dropped, you may consider repitching a fresh pack of yeast. I'm guessing the yeast (dry, I assume) could have lost alot of viability after 6 months at room temp. maybe make a starter with liquid yeast and pitch at high krausen if you decide to repitch.

I got an old cooper's can of OS lager once (didn't read the can !) that had yeast from 6/09. I made a small starter for it that sat 3.5 hours.
It worked fine then. Maybe at least re-hydrate dry yeast.

The gravity has not changed, it is in a plastic bucket with an airlock. The yeast was stored in the basement as well, so I am guessing I will need to get more. Will the beer be okay to sit for a few more days while I wait for the yeast?

The gravity has not changed, it is in a plastic bucket with an airlock. The yeast was stored in the basement as well, so I am guessing I will need to get more. Will the beer be okay to sit for a few more days while I wait for the yeast?

I was going to mention earlier that if the yeast were completely dead and no fermentation has occurred, the wort is in a sensitive position. The whole reason we try to chill our wort quickly and pitch the yeast is so no other microbes can take hold before the yeast has a chance to.

You basically have a bucket of sugar water sitting there, and it looks all sorts of appetizing to all kinds of nasties.

Now, you do have it in an airtight environment, so you have that going for you, but I'd still suggest you pitch yeast ASAP.

Back