Calculate yeast cell count by volume of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
Is there a way to calculate the number of yeast cells based on the volume of yeast? After washing the trub from my last batch and letting it settle in my refrigerator, I have ~500mL of yeast. I'm sure it's not all yeast, but if I were to assume it was all yeast, can I get a rough estimation of the number of cells?

I don't know how anyone can guesstimate that - but a full shot of the last batch of yeast has already gone through the reproduction phase so it should be up there.

Besides its a wonderfully self-regulating miracle! RELAX! if they need to repro more they will know what to do!

sounds likes something to do with significant figures...estimates would be off by only a few million yeasties. I dont think you could be anywhere near even an 80% confidence level because there's a bunch of other stuff there like hop sludge, etc.

Back