First apples pressed... but no fermentation yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I crushed my apples yesterday, and filled up a fermantation abrrel with airlock with just over 6 gallons of freshly squeezed juice. I added 6 campden tablets, as it said one for every gallon.

I left it overnight and pitched my yeats around 24 hours later.
I re-hydrated my yeast in warm water with some sugar, yeast nutrient and diluted apple juice, then added it to my fermentation barrel, and stirred, then sealed with an airlock.

However, there has been no sign of fermentation all day, has my yeast died?
There is no bubble activity, but could this be due to that fact its a 7 gallon plastic fermentation barrel, and theres only 6 and a half gallons in there? there is a good inch - 2 inches of air at the top, is this a problem?

Also, if it does start to ferment, when secondary fermenting and rackign it, can i rack it into another equally big fermentation barrel, or do i need to rack it into seperate Demijohns?

thanks

Wait a few more days. If it hasn't started again, re-pitch more yeast. Also, it could be still fermenting right now. Relying on your airlock is not a good idea. Check the gravity in a few days. If it hasn't changed, chances are, you're campden tabs killed your yeast. I've never used campden tabs prior to fermentation, only to stop it. So I'm not sure if 24 hours is enough for it to settle out.

Your fermenters will be fine.

The extra head space isn't a problem.
24 hours was plenty for the Campden.
Cider fermentation is very quiet compared to beer.

Next time just rehydrate with warm water, leave out the juice. Its not unusual for it to take 24hrs to get going, it may have already started.

The rest for a day really isn't necessary, it doesn't achieve much. I'm not sure how the idea that this helps got started, in large operations they press one day then pitch the next mainly for convenience. After you've been crushing and pressing all day its just easier to do the pitching next day when you can get organised with analysing the juice and preparing any additions. I like to pitch the same day if I can and never have any problems. Cultured yeasts aren't bothered by camden, they are selected to be tolerant, but if stored badly they can lose their oomph pretty quickly.

Ahh, i was worrying for nothing. I woke this morning to find it bubbling about once every 5 seconds, and has been all day.

One otehr question though, how long should i leave it in primary fermentation, until i rack it into another fermentation barrel. Also, as tehre is a good bit of sedement at the bottom, when i rack it, can i add some fresh pressed juice to top it up abit? As when i rack it i plan to pick a few more apples just for topping up, or will this potentially contaminate it?

Also, as tehre is a good bit of sedement at the bottom, when i rack it, can i add some fresh pressed juice to top it up abit?
As when i rack it i plan to pick a few more apples just for topping up, or will this potentially contaminate it?

yes
yes
not likely

Latest posts

Back