Rye Addict

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I think I'm a rye addict. I've been addicted to Reuben sandwiches for about 5 years. Its one of the first things I look for on a dinner's or bar's menu.

I hadn't had or made a rye beer. So I made a rye barleywine as an experiment. I'm impatiently waiting for it to carbonate. But while I've been sampling it, there has been this great taste in it.

Yesterday I got to have a local microbrew Rye Ale. Other than being a 3.2 beer, it was great. Same flavor I've been enjoying in my samples.

This one's going to be a toughie to wait for. I'll be cracking one open in about 2 months to check the carbonation.

Every commercial rye beer I've ever tasted had no rye flavour to it at all. It's a shame too, cuz I share the love of rye. Somebody (can't remember who now) on this site told me that caraway is often thought of as rye flavour since it's added to rye bread so often.

I've done a little research on caraway & found some info that says it tends to inhibit fermentation (caraway, not the rye), this has sort of thrown a wrench in the worx as far as my rye/caraway use in brewing goes. Hope your rye barleywine turns out well. Regards, GF.

Hey Beernik.

There is an awesome Rye Ale here in Texas made by Real Ale ( http://realalebrewing.com/ ). It's pretty damn good and one of my favorites.

If you ever want a six pack or something along those lines and want to trade some beer let me know, id be down to do a little trade.

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale (year-round) bottles,draught
Tawny red and full of malt and hops, Full Moon's unique flavor truly satisfies. The smooth sweetness of malted rye and barley is complemented by generous helpings of Willamette and Cascade hops, resulting in an assertive American amber ale.
ABV: 5.7%, IBU: 42, OG(plato): 14

I would think caraway would be okay. Isn't it a traditional gruit? Maybe crush the seeds and dry gruiting it would work. I'll have to think about it.

Adam, I may take you up on the trade. I don't think there are many rye beers availablearound here.

Back