Another forgotten beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitty

Reaction score
I just saw the other thread, and it inspired me to post about mine. Long story short, 12 years ago life got in the way and I stopped brewing until recently. Just before that I brewed a barleywine, kegged it up and set it aside to age for a year.

Two months ago when I started cleaning and rebuilding my kegs I realized one was full. A quick tap on the gas in valve produced a slow hiss and a wonderful smell. After getting over the shock of it keeping pressure all these years, I began to realize there might be a wonderful nectar in there. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have a kegerator, so there it sat. We finally got a new freezer a couple months ago so I could convert the old one to a keezer, and now it's chilling off and under pressure (no major modifications to the freezer yet, I couldn't wait). I'll be tapping it for a sample in a couple days. If you never hear from me again, it didn't go well. :cross:

I love reading about these great finds. I felt lucky when I found some three year old BCS last fall, and think it's so awesome when I read about the 20+ year old beer that people have stored or find at estate sales and drink. But, being that it's one of your own brews, this is really one of the cooler stories that I've read.

Please report back.

awesome. I wonder how it aged. Will it be malty or taste like cardboard? :(

If it was under pressure, then most likely, you'll have some smooth drinking nectar in there. Savor it...and definitely don't drink it too cold, or you'll lose have the flavor.

~rc~

A guy from a local homebrew club brought a bottle of mead he found in his parents house that he estimated he brewed about 25 years ago. Never really drank mead much before, so can't offer a fair comparison, but it was delicious.

A 15 year old barley wine should be sublime! Even the top shelf Burton ales of the 19th century were claimed to be aged 15 years in the cask. And they were barley wines too. So you def got something special there...don't keep us in suspense!!:mug:

Gosh dang... 12 year old barleywine... I know what bomber I am buying for dinner tonight.

WOW - jealous! I keep buying more kegs so I can let my beer age a little but so far I just have more friends. I can't wait to hear how it turned out! I'm sure it's going to be amazing! :D

Wow, I didn't think there would be this much interest. I'm picking up a couple snifters and new o-rings for the posts tomorrow. Tasting to commence tomorrow evening. Wish me luck. :mug:

I'd have a hard time waiting 12 months much less 12 years. I would have drank it or lost it or tossed it by now!! I can't wait to hear about it!

Read the story and now I'm hooked. PLEASE post pics!!!!

Cheers, and welcome back ;)

The keg posts are cleaned with new o-rings and sanitized. I drew a couple pints off to get any sediment out of the way. Just to keep you in suspense (and to keep with my hard and fast rules of absolute sobriety while I'm working), the actual tasting will commence this evening. :D

Back