Wheat Beer Sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stape

Reaction score
Hey all, second batch, and after I poured my boiled brew into the chilled water in the carboy, and added more cold water to make 5 gal, shortly I notice a heavy deposit on the bottom of the carboy? I didn't notice this with my first batch, but it was a dark stout. This brew is simply a coopers wheat beer can kit. What am I seeing on the bottom, is it malt? Is this normal or did I F something up? I did everything to a Tee like my first batch which is doin superb. Any ideas? Right now I'm waiting for it to cool down so I can pitch yeast. Also, does it matter how fast it cools down? I used pre-chilled water, but still set the carboy outside which has greatly helped in cooling. Probably reduced the time in half. This isn't bad is it? Or should you let it take quite a bit to cool down? Thanks for any and all scoop guys and gals. -Curtiss

Well Curt...you want to cool it as fast as possible

doing so creates more coldbreak so that it doesn't get cloudy later on when it's chilled and so that there is less of a chance of infection

putting it ouside is ok I guess....just as long as it is sealed

as for the stuff in the buttom of the primary it's probubly just hops and coldbreak...don't worry you'll rack off of this when you go to secondary

for future reference though you could try straining your wort through a sive and a colonder or something (thats what I do but I use a bucket and it makes it pretty easy)

Welcome to the board and happy brewing!

Thanks Hornet. Yea, I got it sealed outside so no nasties get in. Hey, I see your in Corpus, I just left that place, I was at the NAS for 4 years, loved it, man do I miss the hunting and fishing, good times. Thanks for the info also.

Hey no problem man....thats what this place is all about

I love fishing but honestly I've gone once in the 3.5yrs I've lived here...I've also been to the beach a handfull times even though I drive by it everyday

Corpus is a nice place though....it's pretty chill but being from Austin and a college student i think it could stand to be a bit more lively

Yea, I always thought Corpus was the big town of nothing, but your shooting yourself in the foot not going fishing there. 10 min and 10$ and you can be haulin in some nice catches. Anywho.....I dropped my damn thermometer in my carboy....guess it'll be OK there, not like it's under allot of pressure or extreme temps or anything, surely I'm not the only one to do this am I?? All looks good. I just put a batch into secondary, it's clearing up nicely, gonna let it sit for a week or so then add sugar and bottle, and the other batch I just pitched yeast into looks good too, will know more tommorow when it starts to ferment.

Stape said:
Yea, I always thought Corpus was the big town of nothing/QUOTE]

thats a good way to look at it...

well as long as your thermometor was sanitized should be ok...I'm sure worse things have fallen into wort

right on about your first couple of brews..

I wish I could brew....I'm at my max right now though!

gotta drink some beer so I can brew!

Latest posts

Back