Bottled My First Batch!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel1

Reaction score
Last night I finished bottling my first batch of homebrewed English Ale. I call it Awesum Possum Ale. The two cases are sitting in a nice dark, cool place and I will give one the inaugural taste test on Christmas Eve. Wish me luck.

Second batch (IPA) is in the fermenter for another week and will bottle it then.

LongCandMisc043.jpg

nice labels!

only critique...looks like you coulda filled those bottles a little more. try to leave about an inch of headspace in the bottle.

Congrats! Killer f*cking labels, man... how'd you do that?!?!

Tiny bit of advice: you might consider storing your bottles (while they're conditioning) in a warmer (as opposed to cooler) place, especially if you plan to drink them by xmas, which is only 2 weeks away. One of my favorite go-tos is the top of the fridge, or the room in your house that tends to stay the warmest. Ideally, you want to keep the bottles around 68-72F (I'm sure some will argue with me on this). If any cooler than 68, expect the beer to carbonate in no less than 3 weeks, probably closer to 5.

Cheers!!!!

Congratulations!

On proper head space in the bottles, I assume you're using a bottling wand. Simply fill the bottles to the top. When you pull the wand out, it will leave the perfect amount of headspace.

Congrats! Killer f*cking labels, man... how'd you do that?!?!

Tiny bit of advice: you might consider storing your bottles (while they're conditioning) in a warmer (as opposed to cooler) place, especially if you plan to drink them by xmas, which is only 2 weeks away. One of my favorite go-tos is the top of the fridge, or the room in your house that tends to stay the warmest. Ideally, you want to keep the bottles around 68-72F (I'm sure some will argue with me on this). If any cooler than 68, expect the beer to carbonate in no less than 3 weeks, probably closer to 5.

Cheers!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll move them today into the office area which is usually around 70 degrees.

The labels I made from a Googled Possum piece of artwork that I reworked with Sharpie colored markers and copied on a color copier. I left the area on his cape blank and can fill in "Ale", "IPA", etc to denote whats in the bottle. Cheap, funny, and I love the artwork. After printing them out to size (4 to a sheet of paper, my wife used some crazy ragged bladed craft scissors and cut them out. Then I used spray on glue (Elmers) and stuck them on! It was easy as crap!

Congratulations!

On proper head space in the bottles, I assume you're using a bottling wand. Simply fill the bottles to the top. When you pull the wand out, it will leave the perfect amount of headspace.

Actually I didn't use a bottling wand, I used a plastic fermenter bucket with a spigot at the bottom and poured from that to fill the bottles. I need to get a wand. Still learning. First batch and all......:D

Yeah, get a wand. It makes things a lot easier, and you won't get all the splashing and oxidation. Take a look at THIS THREAD. It gives a lot of good ideas to make bottling easier.

Excellent! I also bottled my very first batch of Honey Blonde Ale this weekend as well. Which will be ready on the 24th! Merry Christmas! :D

This home brewing is pretty damn addictive!

the labels look great,congrats ,I bottled a batch of holiday ale yesterday,had a lot of foam when filling bottles,

weasel1 said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll move them today into the office area which is usually around 70 degrees.

The labels I made from a Googled Possum piece of artwork that I reworked with Sharpie colored markers and copied on a color copier. I left the area on his cape blank and can fill in "Ale", "IPA", etc to denote whats in the bottle. Cheap, funny, and I love the artwork. After printing them out to size (4 to a sheet of paper, my wife used some crazy ragged bladed craft scissors and cut them out. Then I used spray on glue (Elmers) and stuck them on! It was easy as crap!

Very cool! Best trick for getting labels onto bottles is to dip the label in milk, which rinses off much easier than glue :)

Latest posts

Back