Ruined batch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas422

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of stout about a month ago. 2 weeks in primary, then I added a little bit of soured beer to the secondary for an additional 2 weeks. I boiled the soured beer for 20 minutes and cooled before adding. I just got home from a 2 week trip and found this...a thin white film on top. I never seen this before, my original plan was to keg, not sure now. I threw away my racking cane and tubing and plan on washing and sanitizing the crap out of that Carboy.

1309024495.jpg

Your photo doesn't appear to have posted, but right-clicking and selecting "open in new tab" worked. That's a lovely infection you've got going there. I hope it was a glass carboy; otherwise you'd probably be best served to chuck that too. Why'd you add sour beer to it?

Trying something different with the soured beer. Yea it's in a 6 gal carboy. Is this salvageable at all or just toss it? No experience with infections.

Trying something different with the soured beer. Yea it's in a 6 gal carboy. Is this salvageable at all or just toss it? No experience with infections.

What you see there is a pellicle. You can leave that beer alone for 6 months to a year, and you might have a fantastic sour.

I think you will find that you have a great sour stout. As noted previously, you should leave it for about 6 months.

If it's plastic, when you empty it, you can try filling it with a mild bleach solution and leaving it for a while. That might kill any contamination of the fermenter.

I mix and match my sours (lacto, brett, pedio) and my normal beers in 6 gallon better bottles and plastic primaries thus far without issue. However, I don't mix and match my racking canes (stainless) or hoses (silicon). I'm also quite careful about cleaning with long soaks in PBW followed up with starsan.

...and I've leave that be and see what you get. Might turn into a tasty accident.

Since you added something sour to it I believe you got what you were looking for.

like tasq said leave it for several months and see what you end up with.

What kind of sour beer did you add?

Since you added something sour to it I believe you got what you were looking for.

like tasq said leave it for several months and see what you end up with.

What kind of sour beer did you add?

I bet you he was going for a guiness clone or at least something similar. I have seen a lot of talk about doing that recently

Yes, something similar...What would happen if I kegged it now? It has a really good taste to it.
Thanks!

Yes, something similar...What would happen if I kegged it now? It has a really good taste to it.
Thanks!

You are free to keg it. However, I would recommend you replace o-rings and line afterward. You could always dedicate the keg to sour beer as well. :mug:

Back