Partial Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richabt

Reaction score
A friend and I were brewing a 10 gallon Robust Porter this morning. Everything clicked right along perfectly until the very end. After the wort chiller got it down to about 90 degrees, the kettle decided it was time to commit suicide and fall over and spill about 6 gallons of almost wonderful beer.
I'm crying over spilt beer. :drunk:

Man, that does suck. I dumped 5 gallons of beer when bottling; I know how you feel. Drink it off.

Oh no! Why did it tip over?

And at least you didn't lose the whole thing, I would be shocked but have a lot of hope for the remaining 4 gallons? Treat it well!

Sorry to hear of your loss, been there, done that. Matter of fact, it was my very first AG brew. Got to the point where I was beginning to chill when she went over. It was a rainy day so I moved my process under the front porch. Well, lets just say it was a little tight under there so I was trying to stack some equipment to make more room for the gravity feed when I 'bumped' it. I'm lucky I only lost the wort, and not burned. Since then, I've built a 12x20 brew shed, bring on the rain!

Oh no! Why did it tip over?

And at least you didn't lose the whole thing, I would be shocked but have a lot of hope for the remaining 4 gallons? Treat it well!

It was simply a boneheaded move on my part. Usually I brew on my deck, but this time I put the burner on the ground with two legs on a paver, and one leg on the ground. When we started the immersion chiller, the ground got saturated and that leg sank into the ground. Lesson learned!!!

Latest posts

Back