"fermentation" cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad hops

Reaction score
I have an idea that to me would not be so high priced to keep my fermentation low and easy to do. I hope some poeple can give me some feedback.

I was thinking of using the cooler idea to keep my carboys cool but what if i used a fish tank or something like it with enough space for a few carboys and a fish aquarim cooler. they are rated to bea able to chill 10-24 gallon i belive.

the question at hand is do you think this will work?
i have a garage below ground under my house.... not sure about the temps in summer but i think they will need to be cooled at least a few degrees.

if anyone can help me out with this idea before i waste time and money....

thanks in advance:drunk:

I am going to start doing the same thing, but just using the 70 quart Ice Cube cooler for a single carboy. I looked into aquarium chillers, but I couldn't find any that weren't too expensive for my limited budget. If you find cheap ones, let me know.

My plan is just to use a little bit of ice (frozen in a plastic bottle) to chill temps a bit.

First Post.....5 years homebrew experience, a milennia of saltwater aquaria/coral reef experience:

Nice idea on the aquarium chiller, but it would be way more expensive than the typical chest freezer/thermostat system. An aquarium chiller big enough to handle the job would be around $500 plus and just wouldn't keep your brew cold enough. I think you can build a chest freezer system for less than 300.

Chris

chest freezer from craigslist - < $100
temp controller - $50

done! and will hold multiple carboys/buckets for ale fermentation or lagering!

Atl300zx said:
chest freezer from craigslist - < $100
temp controller - $50

done! and will hold multiple carboys/buckets for ale fermentation or lagering!

This is also my plan...freezer or fridge.

only problem with that is i cannot aquire the freezers or fridges for cheap while i am in italy! expensive!

what about a fridge that holds kegs co2 tank and carboys. That would be ideal. Then you could add a tower and have a kegged beer and storage when you need it. How cold should homebrew be served?

i have went to stores and they are twice the price of new ones in the states. alot of them are not readily available. i am still looking to find second hand ones but to prevail.....:(

Are most things twice as expensive over there? Curious any idea why?
In Europe EVERYTHING is taxed.

If you have a radio in your car...it's taxed.

If you have a TV and an VCR, both are taxed.

When I was living in Germany the tax man came and said their signals (yes, they have detectors that show you have devices plugged in or in use) told them I have such and such and need to pay so much in taxes. I took their notice to JAG and because I was an American working for the US Army I was exempt from the taxes.

They have "Junk Day" in Germany. People will place items on the sidewalks...people from Poland and Hungary will scoop them up and take them home...anyway, most of the items are in good to excellent condition, but are taxable items so they just throw them out instead.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pelteir-fermentation-chamber-back-future-cooler-405524/#post5115818

photo (17).JPG

Latest posts

Back