Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmadway

Reaction score
Going to make Williams Brewing's American IPA kit in the next couple of days. The recipe calls for an aroma hops addition in the last 5-minutes of boiling. I would like to dry hop it (not in recipe). Should I not add the aroma hops at the end of the boil if I'm going to dry hop? I was going to dry hop with Cascade hops, unless perhaps I should just use the hops intended for the end of the boil (don't know what kind of hops they are, as Williams doesn't tell you this). With other brews, I have been dry hopping with significantly more hops than are included for the end of the boil (around 2oz for 5-gallon batch), so I wouldn't just use those to dry hop. Should I throw them in with my Cascade hops and see what I get, or is that a risky endeavor?

To sum up, should I...

1. Include aroma hops at end of boil and dry hop with Cascade hops?

2. Not include aroma hops at end of boil and dry hop with Cascade hops?

3. Not include aroma hops at end of boil and dry hop using only those hops?

4. Not include aroma hops at end of the boil and combine these hops with Cascade hops for a 2oz dry hop?

Thanks!

Captain Damage said:
The first one. Make the recipe per the supplied instructions and ingredients and add the dry hops as an extra thing.

I agree as well.

Smell the aroma hops before you add them to the pot and then think of how that aroma will blend with your Cascade hops. You might want to use them and the Cascade, you might want to use them only, or you might want to use the Cascade for your aroma hop and leave the other hop out. You still could dry hop too and you might want to consider another hop for dry hopping.

Back