Blow out, what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badaboom

Reaction score
OK. I just came home to a blow out. Looks like I lost about a gallon. I put the airlock back on and it is still bubbling really good. Will I need to add more yeast or should it be ok?

I'm now on a quest to look for a blowout tube to fit over the head of my carboy for future batches.

I just put in the cork on the carboy and jammed the siphon hose in there, leading the end to a big bowl of water. Should that suffice, or should I get a big hose to go over the whole top of the carboy?

I just put in the cork on the carboy and jammed the siphon hose in there, leading the end to a big bowl of water. Should that suffice, or should I get a big hose to go over the whole top of the carboy?

that will work, you don't need a hose to cover the whole top

that will work, you don't need a hose to cover the whole top

Erm - for the most part. I speak from experience when I say that the bigger the blow off tube, the better. I didn't use a strainer in my earlier brews and the diameter of my blow-offs on two occasions were not enough to handle the hops that desperately wanted out. If you aren't straining, the bigger the blow-off the better...

There are a lot of factors at play here - wort contents, yeast variety, the use of any nutrients, etc. Hefe's, for instance, are known for particularly vigorous fermentations.

Latest posts

Back