co2 tank question.... strange???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802VermontHomebrew

Reaction score
Ok first timer with kegging here.... I set my regulator to 14 psi checked it an hour later still reading the same psi, went down another hour and checked it... Figured it was fine... Went down to the basement today after work and it was reading zero psi! WTF? my tank isnt leaking I still have the same amount of co2.... So I turned my co2 tank off and back on... Nothing.... I adjust the screw on the front, NOTHING.... I flipped the little red switch (that reads flip up every couple months) and now its fine... What could have caused this and will my beer be affected by this sudden complete stop of co2 pressure? UGH, I have no idea how this happened or what caused this to happen.... Any help would be great!

Ok first timer with kegging here.... I set my regulator to 14 psi checked it an hour later still reading the same psi, went down another hour and checked it... Figured it was fine... Went down to the basement today after work and it was reading zero psi! WTF? my tank isnt leaking I still have the same amount of co2.... So I turned my co2 tank off and back on... Nothing.... I adjust the screw on the front, NOTHING.... I flipped the little red switch (that reads flip up every couple months) and now its fine... What could have caused this and will my beer be affected by this sudden complete stop of co2 pressure? UGH, I have no idea how this happened or what caused this to happen.... Any help would be great!

I'm not familiar with the little red switch. Got a picture?

no your beer will not be affected as long as you re-carb it. Not sure what the little red switch is you are talking about.

It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a pressure relief valve to me. I don't know how that would affect the flow through the regulator. Sometimes, when you first put the gas on the beer, it absorbs it and the head pressure in the keg drops, which is what your regulator reads. I usually have to adjust it a couple of times. Maybe that is what happened to you.

Yeah, that's not what I described. Sounds like you need a new regulator. You still got a helluva deal there, springing for a new regulator won't hurt too bad. Good luck.

yeah i got a great deal... cant complain.. only other thing I can think of is the regulator is only hand tight... I didnt have a big enough wrench to realllllly tighten it (but its still tight and not showing any signs of leakeage)?? im clueless.

looks like the regulator is holding up alright now, I went to the basement and its still where I left it last night :) just a fluke I guess!

make sure you dont lay your tank down, it can freeze your regulator which will screw up your CO2 flow.

Can you tell what brand the regulator is?

If at some point in it's past life some beer got pushed back into the reg it might be all gummy inside and sticking (and harboring nasty stuff, but we'll save that for if you post a "my beer tastes funny" thread). If you have a brand you might be able to get a rebuild kit for it.

it seems to be working fine now... I will let you guys know this weekend possibly if I try it early :) No worries..... the tank is standing (not on its side)

Back