Problem with water pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I adjust my soft water to 160 ppm using Gypsum.

13.50 # Maris Otter and .50 # Carapils

Mash water adjust to 6.00 pH

Sparge water adjust to 5.25 pH

Total runoff into brew kettle = 6.05 pH

I'm using 10% phosphoric acid.

I never had this problem years ago.

Any clues on what's happening

I'm using a Hanna Phep meter - runs around $ 80.00

I have not calibrated it in a while. But, my tap water is around 8.75 pH, which is what the meter is reading in tap water.

I'm going to calibrate my meter with 4.01 pH solution.

I'm going to check the pH when I rack to the brite tank.

If it is less than 5.00, then I'll know the meter was showing an incorrect reading.

Also, you're right. I used to start with a 6.50 - 6.75 pH mash water, and the mash dropped the pH by the time I started to recirculate.

Once more.

I used to use 1.25 qt/# ratio and mash for 60 minutes. Never had pH problems. Mash water was 6.75 pH, and sparge water was 5.25 pH. Total wort in kettle was low 5.00 pH

I now use 1.50 qt/# ratio and mash for 20 minutes, then top off the mash tun with 5.25 pH water.

Maybe too much water for acidification to take place ?

Did get great conversion - efficiency was 82 %

When is the last time you had your water tested?

I use hardness strips to verify I still have very soft water. I also check the pH of the untreated water before adding gypsum and acid.

I have a formula for gypsum, and use a pH meter with small mixer and titrate until I hit my desired pH.

I just checked the pH of my beer (in brite tank)

It's 4.15

If all of my other readings were so high, how can the finished product be in normal pH range ?

Back