1L Erlenmeyer flasks: COMPLETELY worthless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagec

Reaction score
Hey,

Recently I've been trying to refine my homebrewing, and am in the process of putting together some basic temperature control for my fermenter, and growing starters (I always used smack packs or dry yeast before).

Anyway, like a good novice, I went out and got a "starter" starter kit. Comes with DME, yeast nutrient, a 1L Erlenmeyer flask, and a stir bar. I thought that I was good to go...until I recently read that your average homebrewer isn't going to get much more than 100-150B cells/L from a stirred starter, and liquid yeast packs already contain 100B.

So...why bother with a 1L starter? Am I missing something obvious, or is that always just a waste of time? If so, why do stores cell kits with 1L flasks?

I guess I can just use my 1G carboy instead, but I can't boil in it...

I have the same question as you. Especially since you can't fill it with 1L then boil it. 2L seems like it should be the minimum size, in my opinion. I used mine until it broke, won't replace it with something that small again.

It may serve its purpose, for those that are really just using it to warm up the yeast for a lower OG, 5G batch. But I vote, 2L or go home.

I cant speak for the use of it for starters... I've used them though I can not attest to how effective it was. BUT... I am a fan of using the 1 liters for harvesting/holding yeast. Funnel trub in, sanitized aluminum foil on top, pop that bad mug in the refridgerator.

Graduations give you a great idea on amount of yeast slurry youre about to pitch, a la mt malty pitch rate calculator.

I use mine when stepping up harvested yeast from commercial brews. Can do the smaller steps in them before moving to my bigger flask.

Or when doing a small starter for a low gravity brew.

OP, where did you read that the average homebrewer cant get more than 150b cells from a stirred starter? That sounds like really bad info.

IMO any real yeast set should be: 250ml, 2L and 4L this would allow for a just about everything from harvesting your own to a massive high gravity 13 gallon batch.

The 1L arguably is good for a starter for a 5 gallon batch up to 1.062 OG. The reason to use one is because you have no idea how many viable yeast cells are in a pack/vial (dry yeast is a little different) or if the pack is getting old, the starter guarantees the correct pitching amounts.

Mrmalty.com

EDIT: a 1L staer will grow 215 billion cells

I got all my info from Mr.Malty w/ the stir plate setting.

Per Yeast, by Messieurs White and Zainesheff: An UNSTIRRED started of 1 L with a pitch rate of 100 million cells per mL (i.e. 1 white lab vial of 100 billion cells) will yield a total of 150 billion cells (the original 100 + 50). Aeration, stirring, etc, increase that.

IMO any real yeast set should be: 250ml, 2L and 4L this would allow for a just about everything from harvesting your own to a massive high gravity 13 gallon batch.

The 1L arguably is good for a starter for a 5 gallon batch up to 1.062 OG. The reason to use one is because you have no idea how many viable yeast cells are in a pack/vial (dry yeast is a little different) or if the pack is getting old, the starter guarantees the correct pitching amounts.

Mrmalty.com

EDIT: a 1L staer will grow 215 billion cells

I got all my info from Mr.Malty w/ the stir plate setting.

I use 1L flasks all the time to step up my harvested yeasts.

Per Yeast, by Messieurs White and Zainesheff: An UNSTIRRED started of 1 L with a pitch rate of 100 million cells per mL (i.e. 1 white lab vial of 100 billion cells) will yield a total of 150 billion cells (the original 100 + 50). Aeration, stirring, etc, increase that.

What these guys said. I have a 1L and 4L. Perfect for stepping up very small amounts of yeast.

Moral: keep the 1L and get a larger one too when you find a deal.

I was just thinking the same thing the other night. 1L has proven useless thusfar, but I am going to harvest some yeast from a commercial bottle and will use the 1L and still have my 2L free for starters.

I was just thinking the same thing the other night. 1L has proven useless thusfar, but I am going to harvest some yeast from a commercial bottle and will use the 1L and still have my 2L free for starters.

I use both flasks for a starter. Get the 1L going, and when it's time to step it up, boil wort in the 4L, then just dump from one to the other. It's very clean that way.

I use a 2L and a 3gal better bottle for my high gravity lagers... a 1 liter would just be useful for knowing if a pack of yeast is viable.

I use my 1L for harvesting all the time. I use a 2L for building to pitch, and 1 gallon glass tea jugs for lager and barleywine starters.

Lots of beer can be made with a 1L starter.

Wyeast smack packs have a total volume of 125 ml. It's hard to see how the yeast pop. isn't going to do better with 8 times the grub to grow on.

Good info...I guess I'll hang onto my 1L flask, but keep my eyes open for something bigger.

I have 1, 2 and 5 liter flasks. I use the one liter when harvesting yeast or when stepping up something from my frozen yeast bank.

Back