Best gas grill for the money?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would chime in on this. We purchased a Char-Broil propane grill when we got our first apartment. It only lasted a few years before many of the components failed and it rusted out. After doing a lot of research this past spring, I bought a Weber Spirit (3 burner). This grill is absolutely amazing. It's small but high quality. All the food we've put on it has turned out amazing. I would highly recommend this grill to anyone.

I thought I would chime in on this. We purchased a Char-Broil propane grill when we got our first apartment. It only lasted a few years before many of the components failed and it rusted out. After doing a lot of research this past spring, I bought a Weber Spirit (3 burner). This grill is absolutely amazing. It's small but high quality. All the food we've put on it has turned out amazing. I would highly recommend this grill to anyone.

This is almost identical to what we did...bought the POS Char-broil a few years ago, rusted out and then died in a wind storm. Bought a Weber Spirit this year, could not be happier.

Spirits are supposedly built in China with the rest of the Weber line being US-made. Regardless, I can't see any difference in craftsmanship. Planning to take care of this one (have a cover, will clean out every year).

I can come home for quick lunch on the gas grill and be back on the road in 30min. I have two charcoal/wood grill's I break out for party's, they rock too, but they take longer, cost more to fuel.

The weber spirit 3 burner for the win!! With the rotisserie

image-3292827826.jpg

I've had the same Weber Genesis B (3 burner w/ SS hood) for more than 10 years. I've moved with it 3 times and it still fires up on the first click. Never had an issue or replaced a single part. I used to work at a hardware store in college and I sold/assembled/delivered thousands of webers. I will never, ever, buy a different brand.

I've got a 22 1/2 charcoal kettle and a Smokey Mountain too. Love 'em.

I once sold the Ranch Kettle to some guy. I was so jealous. Those things are massive!
Weber-Ranch-Kettle-Whole-Hog-from-Virtual-Weber-Bulletin-Board.jpg

I read whole thread.I know it is old but.Old advices is still gold sometimes :D

If people are interested in i recommend small electric grill for easy use its weber Q1400 - really really good electric grill here goes review for you weber q1400 review

Just bought a Weber S-330 LP grill in stainless. I get to pick it up today. I'll never buy a grill thats not a weber, not for my primary at least.

I'm replacing my old redtop thats almost as old as I am (27 years or so). My father and I have rebuilt the red top several times over the years with new elements, flavor bars, ignition, etc. Finally its just rotted out.

Paid $1,005 for my new weber.. hopefully craftsmanship is close to before.

Next grill will be a ceramic egg... Dunno if it will be a Big Green Egg or not

I had my first Weber for 15+ years. I never changed a part. I left it outside with a Weber cover on it. I used it all the time, even in January. The only thing wrong with it was the igniter. When I finally replaced it, I put it by the curb. Someone else picked it up. I helped him load it into his truck. He's probably still using it. :D

I bought another Weber about 3 years ago, and it's going strong. Last year it got hit by a 60+ MPH gust of wind that blew it across my patio. It literally did a cartwheel. It has a small dent in the door, but after replacing a few smashed parts (the knobs and the igniter) it runs like a champ.

I will only buy Weber.

First, my apologies for going along with the crowd resurrecting an ancient thread.

Weber makes the best gas grill on the market. They are quite expensive ($800-$100 for a modest genesis model, several thousand (!!) for high end summit model).

I have had a genesis E330 for about 4 years and it is great. Only complaint is that the cast iron grates rust out very quickly even when following the seasoning instructions religiously. They aren't really expensive but it pisses me off they disintegrate within 200 uses. Might fork out the cash for stainless ones next time.

Build quality was extremely impressive. In an age of cheap made Chinese crap this is a quality American made unit. All of the parts were heavy and durable. The powder coat is extremely tough. I did have an issue with one of the side trays that didn't fit but their phone was great and the guy on the other end even took apart a unit they had to take measurements to confirm what part had the bad dimension. I ended up muscling it into place but they still shipped me a replacement part quickly.

Char-Broils gas grills suck. In the end you'll pay more for the number of times you have to replace it and they don't cook as good as the Genesis. This is one thing it's worth spending more for.

Weber Genesis E-330. Second Weber. I actually now have the S-330 which I love but I wouldn't say the stainless model is necessary. My previous Genesis lasted nearly 17 years. It was still running just fine but the inside lid was finally starting to flake metal. I have watched my friends buy and trash more CharBroil and Brinkmann grills then I can count. I'd never buy anything but Weber. Make the investment. It's completely worth it.

PS. It hit 700F the first time I fired up all four burners.

I've had my Genesis about 5 years. It's been outside the whole time, covered. My only complaint is that I wish it burned hotter. As for durability, I tried to move it indoors before Sandy. But the wheels were sunk in, it wouldn't budge. I figured that if I couldn't move it, the wind wouldn't. I didn't count on my neighbor's steel shed flying over the fence. That knocked the grill over, denting the doors. The next day I pushed the ruined shed down the hill, stood my grill back up, and lit it. I needed in the week without power.

I work for Shipt part time shopping/delivering groceries, so I took a picture since with my shirt on it for the employee page (I've saved up all my $ to date for the grill).

Got it home last night... wouldnt light! The guys that built it put ignitor battery in backwards... Anyway, lit it and let it get super hot for a while. Then shut off to make some hop shots with wife, fired back up and cooked some thick strips.

Home grilled steaks... green beans with homemade bacon... homebrewed zombie dust clone... Fantastic dinner.

12495259_10101636510975809_1403085947218045692_n.jpg

12806178_10101636510985789_4571519278717478055_n.jpg

10171854_10101636511025709_3787773141767893744_n.jpg

12802840_10101636567936659_1919787473559015201_n.jpg

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic since this one is active. I am also looking to buy a new gas grill as my old one is... well, old. I know that by far the popular recommendation has been the Weber Genesis line of grills, but I really don't have the $700+/- to shell out on a grill right now. How is the quality of the Spirit line of grills? I know they don't come with the stainless cooking grates, but I have never had and don't really feel a need to have the fancy bells and whistles on the higher-end Weber grills (side burner, rotisserie, etc). I am looking for a basic gas grill that has a bit more room than my current one (400 sq. ft.).

I was leaning toward trying to go with another more 'economy' grill, but as I've thought about it a bit more, I am thinking that it might make more sense to shell out the extra $$$ to get a Weber, as long as the Spirit line will have the longevity of the higher-end Genesis line that seems to be what the reputation is built around. Thoughts?

(For what it's worth, when I have the time I MUCH prefer to use my Weber kettle grill, but for a quick dinner in the evening after work it is tough to beat the quickness and convenience of turning on a burner...)

The Spirit is basically a smaller version of the Genesis. Unless you regularly cook a large quantity at the same time you'd be better served by a Spirit then a cheapo grill.

I 2nd that! Spirits are great and blow away economy grills.

The Spirit is basically a smaller version of the Genesis. Unless you regularly cook a large quantity at the same time you'd be better served by a Spirit then a cheapo grill.

Thanks for the feedback. When I do cook for a lot of people I prefer to use the charcoal anyway. My current grill is just a tad smaller than the spirit, and basically the only time I wish for more room is when I'm cooking chicken wings. Other than that, the space is fine when cooking for my wife, our 2 kids, and myself.

I've had a Char-broil for I don't know how many years. Decent cheap grill. I've replaced the burner a couple of times and the burner shield a few more times. Nothing too major went wrong with it.

That said, I'd love to be able to upgrade to something nice. Good to hear people are recommending the Spirit line of Weber grills. I can't spend the big bucks to go with the higher priced models, and I'm not sure I can swing the Spirit, but it will be on my radar in case we decide to finally dump the Char-broil. The shield is rotting away again, and the burner is getting uneven again. If parts are still available, I might be able to fix it again for $50.

As a kid, I learned to grill using charcoal. After I got married, I switched to gas, and went almost 30 years using gas. Highly convenient. Got a BGE for my 51st birthday and will never go back to gas. I forgot how much charcoal adds to the flavor profile of whatever you are grilling. I'm not saying to get a BGE, just go lump charcoal.

I replaced our giant stainless steel monster with a STOK grill....shape is similar to a Weber. Two burners, wok insert, pizza stone, veggie basket, and griddle plate....that grill though much smaller does everything I want it to do. Heats up fast, cooks good, takes up less space, and uses less gas. Since our nest is now empty, it is plenty big enough for our uses. Best of all, it was "free" using my Cabelas points!

I am looking for a basic gas grill that has a bit more room than my current one (400 sq. ft.).

Not sure you'll ever find a grill larger than 400 square foot for less than $700. Are you grilling an entire herd?

Maybe look for something in the 400 - 500 square inch range instead?

This is the gas grill I use. Stock photo. I love the built in smoker box with dedicated burner and the hide away rotisserie motor. I've had mine for 7 years and never had any problems. Recently got a traeger lone star and installed a external smoker box to do cold smoking. I do love the traeger setup for cold smoking. Set it and forget it

image.jpg

Cleaned up our old Char-broil grill yesterday. Really needed a good scraping after another year of use. The burner actually looks in decent shape. The U shaped burner cover is starting to rot a bit. I may see about fixing that. The spacer is rusted away and the little box that helps the ignition get started is half gone.

Should probably cost me about $10 to fix. So I don't know that I'll be getting a new Weber this season.

Oh, and the custom handle I put on it is really getting rotted. The original plastic one broke, so I put cut a thick wood dowel to replace it. Has lasted for probably 6 years or so now. Maybe I should have used cedar...

If I were looking, I would wait until Summer, even Fall, for grills to go on sale. Check your local, stores for display models, watch Craigslist. I bought an unused Akorn Grill for $100 off. It had been a Father's Day gift that was never used. A used Weber might be a very good deal, as they are so durable.

My lava rocks are full of all sorts of marinades, olive oil, spices, fat drippings, bread crumbs, onions, etc. The cooking surface, I rarely clean with a brush or burning. I grill every single day from May til October, rain or shine. I might hit the grates with a brush once every two weeks or so. I don't even wash my tongs, just toss them back inside the grill after cooking and close the lid.

It seems to me that at least once after every 10 cooking process, the grill still needs to be cleaned ...

It affects the taste, aroma of the dish. It concerns your health. Especially now there are many options to clean the surface of the grill without any difficulties (some grill brushes, some crumpled foil, etc.). With a good brush, you don’t even have to make an effort and do not need to use cleaning products.

I went from a $4,600 DCS built in to a $2,000 Sabre when we relocated to Texas... Sold a relatively new construction home when the wife got transferred and the built in grill had to stay... Guy who bought the house from us ended up with my outdoor kitchen.... Felt like I lost my best friend.... Hate that guy!!! I had never heard of Saber before but the guy at the store where I purchased it talked me into it. They sold several top of the line brands (DCS, Bull, Weber, Viking... to name a few). It's the best grill I have owned. When I am home I grill almost everything we eat.... Saber is well built, and is designed to be "flame up Proof"... It makes grilling EASY....

I built an outdoor kitchen where I lived 1 mile from the Beach and this really held up and lasted well. I recommend this brand. If you look you might find a black one instead of the marked up stainless. Heats even, Rotisserie is great. Miss it indeed. Building a new one in my new place and definitely will be looking into these guys, unless I can find a used with a crappy frame I can build into a steel stud cabinet with stone top like the last place.
https://www.bbqgalore.com/bbq-grills-smokers.html

I switched to electric grills, the ability to cook in the house seduced me. Although they have such a minus as a lack of power, but due to the different modes of frying, the meat is also tasty
There is another advantage or disadvantage, depending on how someone loves. There is no smack of smoke

Last edited:
I switched to electric grills, the ability to cook in the house seduced me. Although they have such a minus as a lack of power, but due to the different modes of frying, the meat is also tasty
There is another advantage or disadvantage, depending on how someone loves. There is no smack of smoke
I also use electric grill :)

This is almost identical to what we did...bought the POS Char-broil a few years ago, rusted out and then died in a wind storm. Bought a Weber Spirit this year, could not be happier.

Spirits are supposedly built in China with the rest of the Weber line being US-made. Regardless, I can't see any difference in craftsmanship. Planning to take care of this one (have a cover, will clean out every year).

I agree SO MUCH. Char-Broil fails to live up to expectations... looked so worn out after a while! It was starting to not blend in with our beloved patio (for reference, it looks like the 3rd picture here) that we worked super hard to make look awesome and Instagram-worthy. I'm sticking with Broil King Regal, have high hopes for this one. Performs like a beast so, yay! :bigmug:

I also use electric grill :)
Nice choice. What brand and model do you prefer? I find myself gravitating towards Smoke Hollow/Masterbuilt 3616 DEW (the "digital" one featured here, 'cause it's so easy to use - look at its enumerated specs though! so shiny :mischievous:). Chrome-plated cooking grids really are nicely height-adjustable. AND OF COURSE I like the 1500W heating element. So excellent...

I found myself drawn to these things too... So straightforward to use!!! Just works.

Back