Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Helllo all, Just finished brewing up my first attempt at a black IPA. I based it off the dogfish head 60 min clone and added more DME and hops and steeping grains. Here is the recipe.....

2 packets of US-05 dry yeast (rehydrated)
9 lbs Pilsen light DME

Steeping grains. 30 minutes
4oz crisp Carmel 60
4oz crisp amber
12oz carafa 3

hops
1.5 oz chinook 60 min
.25 oz chinook 30 min
.25 amarillo 30 min
.25 simcoe 30 min
.25 chinook 10 min
.25amarillo 10 min
.25 simcoe10 min
.25 chinook 1 min
.25 Amarillo 1 min
.25 simcoe 1 min

Will rack to secondary after 10-12 days and add the following dry hop additions
.25 chinook
.25 Amarillo
.25 sincoe

Original gravity came out to be 1.064... I was expecting more honestly perhaps with better technique the next time will be higher. Also I would have preferred warrior hops instead of the chinook but they were unavailable. This is the first time I have done any recipe that was not prepackaged so if you have advice then I greatly welcome it.

I am sure it'll make a good beer. Pilsner/Pilsen malt tastes somewhat more delicate, grainy and sweet compared to Pale Ale malt, which is a richer and somewhat biscuity. Generic two-row is a bit like a "light" Pale Ale malt, i.e. very neutral (some might say bland) in flavor.

Do you recommend pale ale malt next time?

It's a matter of personal preference, but I really enjoy a good pale ale malt as the base for most of my American and English ales. Look for an English Light or Pale extract if you are not set up to do all-grain.

Still getting up to speed with extract. I'm hoping to attempt an all grain beer sometime around the end of the year.

Back