Computer Help Plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
So my computer has been acting horribly slow lately. I figured that it had to do with my registry being all cluttered up, so I looked for some registry cleaning software. I found this freeware one that had some good reviews so I tried it and it really worked.

I can't vouch for its long term potential, but if you're looking for a reg cleaner, give this a try:

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

And if you know a reason why I shouldn't have used it, speak up.

Always beware of registry cleaners. They can lead to problems down the road. They will find things that should be removed and thats good, but they also find things that you will sometimes need. You probably will not even notice immediately. But a few weeks or months down the line you go to use a program or something and it won't work. Always use caution when dealing with these kind of programs. And always use caution when dealing with free programs in general. Many tend to bundle spyware with them.

When a computer is acting slow, there are better methods of speeding it up. Go into the control panel and then add/remove programs and uninstall anything in the list that you do not use anymore. Next, run a spyware scanner(I reccomend AVG AS). Then defragment your harddrive. Empty temp directories. And most importantly, remove items from startup that should not be running!

Rick91981 said:
Always beware of registry cleaners. They can lead to problems down the road. They will find things that should be removed and thats good, but they also find things that you will sometimes need. You probably will not even notice immediately. But a few weeks or months down the line you go to use a program or something and it won't work. Always use caution when dealing with these kind of programs. And always use caution when dealing with free programs in general. Many tend to bundle spyware with them.

When a computer is acting slow, there are better methods of speeding it up. Go into the control panel and then add/remove programs and uninstall anything in the list that you do not use anymore. Next, run a spyware scanner(I reccomend AVG AS). Then defragment your harddrive. Empty temp directories. And most importantly, remove items from startup that should not be running!
All good suggestions. I have had very good service from Reg Cleaner. It has never caused a problem and it is a nice little (540K) program.

And de-frag, even if the software says it doesn't need it. There are almost always fragments and since I have a laptop, anything that can speed up the IO is a plus.

Best way to clean up the reg is to back up everything you have onthe compy ya wanna keep... then format and reinstall.

Takes a bit longer... but its a great way to clear out all the junk.

i reload my entire system once it starts to give me trouble. starting fresh is the way to go. there's no way to clean out all the crap that ends up on your pc without doing more damage most of the time.

definitely defrag often, too.

I've tried many reg cleaners and I can say I'm sure most did very little to help.

I need a new PC bad so I'm letting everything go...Once it craps out, I'll switch to my backup linux drive which will drive SWMBO so crazy that she will beg me to build a new one ASAP. Then it will be time to build an uber-PC capable of world domination!!!! bwahahahahaha!

Back