Blichmann false bottom and BK Strainer experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing both of these. How well do they perform. The false bottom looks pretty solid. How does the BK strainer hold up against hop pellets?

The false bottom is excellent. It doesn't take long for the wort to run clear and I've never had a stuck sparge. The BK strainer clogs up with the use of hop pellets. I had a disaster or a time when it clogged once, now I just use hop bags. It may work just fine with whole hops (I think thats what its intended for), but I haven't tried.

I use a paint stainer bag right now. I still get a lot of hop debris that is released into the wort. If I use both, will I still get a clog?

I use hop bags that I bought at my LHBS. Very little material is released into the wort, I recommend you switch over. It doesn't take a lot of hop material to clog the BK strainer. Even a small amount will slow it considerably.

When i use pellets, I use a paint strainer bag with no problems. Although, I usually use at least some whole hops. If I know I am only using pellets, there is no need to use the strainer at all, so I just leave it off.

Back