points per pound of grain? (PM question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I'm formulating my first partial mash, and I think I'm getting bad info from somewhere.

I was told somewhere that you get about 3.33 points per pound of grain mashed. I assumed he was talking about 5 gallons, is this accurate or way off?

Beersmith was giving me 20 points from 2.75 lb munich and 1 lb carahell. Is this reasonable? I have 75% eff. and batch size of 5 gallons. That's 5.33 points per pound.

Thanks!

Most grains list out as 33-37 points per pound. If you take 75% of 35 (due to your efficiency), you get 26.25 points/pound. Divide that by 5 since you're brewing 5 gallons, and you get 5.25 points per pound in a 5 gallon batch. Pretty much the same as your 5.33 you got above.

Yes, the points are per pound per gallon, and should be 33 to 37 at 100% efficiency (which then gets divided by your total volume), and at 70% eff you'd get about 23 to 26points per pound, or about 5 points when diluted across a 5 gallon batch.

yeah those were the numbers I was running too. thanks mkling!

maybe he was talking about 10 gallons. and getting a better eff. that would make sense.

man, grain is much cheaper than dme......

Latest posts

Back