American Wheat Beer Dry-Hopped Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale American US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
--
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
--
Went to Founders Brewery a few days ago and tried their Dry-Hopped Honey Wheat and wanted to try and make my own. This is my first time making and doing a partial mash (have done 3-4 extracts before). Let me know if you think it needs any tweeking. If will be sure to post tasting notes once i do make this. Thanks

Grains:
2lbs White Wheat Malt
2lbs Pale Male(2 Row)
.75 lbs Flaked Wheat
.5lbs Honey Malt

Extract
1lbs Wheat Dry Extract
1lbs Light Dry Extract

Misc
1lb Honey

Hops
1oz Cascade 60mins
0.5oz Saaz 15mins
1oz Amarillo Gold Dry Hop 7days

Safale American US-05 Yeast

OG: 1.053
IBU: 19.2
Color: 5.6
ABV: 5.8

You could probably sub the light DME for wheat DME, since the wheat extract already has somewhere around 35% pale in it. Also, when are you going to add the honey? Different times in the boil will lead to different flavors, flameout leaves more of the flowery notes, boil leaves less, etc. Just some things to think about. Unfortunately (or fortunately) most of the time making your own recipes means just going for it and seeing what you like and don't like and adjusting next time. I might suggest doing half batches until you like it, just in case. I do most of my weird ones in small batches, lets you brew more often to make changes. Looks good though.

Thanks for the tips.. My plan was to add honey either at flameout or 2-3 days into primary fermentation (as suggested by someone at my LHBS). The problem is im trying to brew this for a friends surprise B-day party some im going all or nothing. Hope it works out

Ah, well then go for it! Looks like a good brew in any case. I'm sure it will be good.

Back