Adding sugers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amc82

Reaction score
So I just bought a kit from AHS just their house brown and I am thinking of adding some other stuff that is not in the recipe. I am going to add some maple syrup, molasses and cloves. Has anyone ever done anything like this and will it kill the yeast? And when would be a good time to add the cloves?

I would think the best time with the cloves would be in the last 10 minutes of the boil...but be cautious I've heard a little goes a very long way in beer. I would reccomend you search "cloves" on this site and see what you come up with.

When it comes to addding additional sugars what I typically do, is brew, pitch yeast...let fermentation go for a day or two and then do step addtions with additional sugar. For example with my Belgian Golden Strong I will do as mentioned then at fermentation day 2add a lb of sugar then another lb at day three. The logic is this...you want the yeastie beasties to be awake and running at full speed before you completley overload them with so much food (sugar). I have had good success with this.

I used cloves in a beer and I added way to much. All you could really taste was cloves so start out really small (like teaspoon amounts) for a 5 gallon batch

Back