splashing wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi.

I have been taught that you should never splash wort . This means that from the mash tun to the boiler and from the boiler to the FV.

Yet i see all the time pictures of people tappibg from the mash tun to the boiler from different heights with no hose pipe. This must casue some aeration must it not?

or is it all a myth and not really that important in the long run as things are boiled afterwards. It would make my set up a little easier if i could get a concensous of opinion.

thanks

You don't want to splash after fermentation is complete. Aeration before this point is actually good for the beer. I pour my beer from the kettle into my fermentors to increase the amout of aeration. It helps the yeast.

I think it's alright to splash wort before the boil i.e from mash tun into kettle. If there is oxygen in the wort it will degas during the boil...or at least that's how I justify it. Anyone else do the same?

Yet i see all the time pictures of people tappibg from the mash tun to the boiler from different heights with no hose pipe. This must casue some aeration must it not?

Based on your comment, it appears that you are concerned with HSA (Hot Side Aeration). There has been a lot of discussion on this subject in the past, and it has more or less been concluded that, at the homebrewing level, HSA is simply not a concern.

After the boil/chill, aeration is vitally important because the wort is pretty oxygen-depleted at this stage and yeast require oxygen to reproduce. After fermentation, splashing is mishandling and can lead to oxidation in the final product. Some taste wet cardboard, but I generally perceive oxidation as a dull, muted flatness in the flavor with some mustiness.

Based on your comment, it appears that you are concerned with HSA (Hot Side Aeration). There has been a lot of discussion on this subject in the past, and it has more or less been concluded that, at the homebrewing level, HSA is simply not a concern.

After the boil/chill, aeration is vitally important because the wort is pretty oxygen-depleted at this stage and yeast require oxygen to reproduce. After fermentation, splashing is mishandling and can lead to oxidation in the final product. Some taste wet cardboard, but I generally perceive oxidation as a dull, muted flatness in the flavor with some mustiness.

Thats exactly wha i mean.
it makes things easier for me as it means i can have a shorter length of pipe going into the boiler and not have to worry about back flow.

thanks ou have been a grea help.

D

Only have 1 all grain under my belt but I let the wort go from the mash tun into the kettle and splash all around. The results were great. I actually posted a similar question about the hose coming out of the MLT and some people use it and some dont.

Back