Paulaner w/ WLP300 - Need a Wheat Expert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaelap

Reaction score
I need some advice on brewing a Paulaner all grain beer, specifically using WLP300. To give you a little information, I've done a dozen all grain batches of Wheat Beers, using 05, because I like the clean profile.

I really enjoy the banana / clove flavors from Paulaner - and want to hear from anyone who brews an authentic german clone on a regular basis. I have a fermentation chamber, so the temp controlling will not be an issue. What I would like to know from you expert wheat brewers is the following:

1) Fermentation Temp for WLP300 to replicate the taste of Paulaner?

2) Do you start fermenting at one temp and adjust to another during the process? For example, I've read that some start out at 67 for a week, then slowing raise the temp to 70-72 to achieve bananna/clove.

Thanks!

Best to wait for more experienced brewers to chime in, but in the mean time....

I just bottled a dunkelweizen made with WLP300 that was fermented at 62 for 2 weeks in my basement (first time fermenting this low) and then raised to ~69 (room temp) for one week. The banana/clove balance was amazing, and not a trace of bubblegum or other undesirable flavors. I expect this will be my best brew yet. Props to Jamil for the tip to ferment hefe/dunkelweizens at 62.

Best to wait for more experienced brewers to chime in, but in the mean time....

I just bottled a dunkelweizen made with WLP300 that was fermented at 62 for 2 weeks in my basement (first time fermenting this low) and then raised to ~69 (room temp) for one week. The banana/clove balance was amazing, and not a trace of bubblegum or other undesirable flavors. I expect this will be my best brew yet. Props to Jamil for the tip to ferment hefe/dunkelweizens at 62.

I experimented with temps in the low 60's. I do something similar where I pitch at 58 and it ramps up to 62-63 then I bring it up to 68 after a week and let it finish. I have to say it is the way I do it from now on. The result was pretty amazing. Experiment with different strains. I know a lot of people stick to the 62 rule but I think you should try different strains. I have mixed 1/ WLP 300 with 1/ 351 or 380 for some good results.

Great, I appreciate the responses. I'll ferment at 62 for a few weeks, then bump it up.

Back