Made the switch from fly sparge to batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight

Reaction score
Decided to try batch sparging a few batches ago, was fly sparging. My brew day is now 2 hours shorter and my efficiency is about 2 or 3 points higher (I think I had some channeling issues). I really really like batch sparge now, it also helps that I now have a much larger mash tun went from a 5gal hlt mt to a 15gal setup with fb instead of the ss braid. Anyone else have a similar experience with this?

I had my valves set barely open when I was fly sparging so it would take me about 90 min to complete the process. I was always told that it should take 60 to 90 minutes to sparge using that process so that was what I did. I also have been turning on the boil kettle bruner now after collecting my first runnings to get my temp up faster. Its most likely a combination of different things such as that, that have dropped my brew day time down 2 hrs. But I still like the batch sparge process now that I have tried it a few times.

Yeah, we batch sparge--not even remotely interested in getting into the equipment that fly sparging would require. When we upgrade from our 5-gallon cooler to a 15 I'll think about doing a false-bottom, but eugh. No fly sparging for me!

Using Biermuncher's (sp?) hybrid fly sparging, I brewed yesterday with no new equipment whatsoever. The only "new" piece I used was a 1 quart saucepan for ladling sparge water, and a Marie Callendar's pie tin that I punched a bunch of holes into for keeping the grain bed intact while I put the sparge water in.

I may have missed my mash out temp by a couple degrees, but I have Beersmith putting my mash efficiency at 88%, which is actually 4-5% higher than I had been getting with batch sparging. And, I'm taking about the same time to sparge than I would with batch sparging, since I'm only draining the MT once. 10 gal Igloo with a bazooka.

But, as always, YMMV.

Back