Overly complicated simple question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotchguy

Reaction score
My second batch (Pale Ale) is nearing the end of its primary stage in a glass carboy. Something I never did think about was how do I get a sample out for tasting. Common sense tells me that dumping some out would be not good since I won't want to disturb the trub or bring any unnecessary oxygen into the beer.

My though is this, just sanitize the siphon/racking arm and pull some out that way? Or is there one neat tool designed for the job - dare I say turkey baster? I am not trying to get worked up over something so small, but I thought it was more funny than anything. This thought process never occurred to me when I decided to use the carboy!

Alright keep the newb comments light :D

i suggest using a crazy straw with some suction force. works for me...

WARNING: The above statement is completely and utterly the wrong way to go about taking a gravity sample. Please avoid putting your dirty mouth anywhere near your beer until you are ready to actually drink it.

i suggest using a crazy straw with some suction force. works for me...

WARNING: The above statement is completely and utterly the wrong way to go about taking a gravity sample. Please avoid putting your dirty mouth anywhere near your beer until you are ready to actually drink it.

I kinda like the "idea" of this... Kodak moment anyone?

In all seriousness, I think a turkey baster with do the trick, thanks for the quick responses. :mug:

If you can't find an extra long one, I just saw this mod online. Google led me to an aquarium site.

turkey_baster_mod.jpg

A regular turkey baster with a length of clear plastic tubing to reach into carboys. Cut it to length and then cut the tip of the turkey baster to fit the tubing and wedge it into place. You just want to make sure it can be cleaned and sanitized effectively though.

Back