Piraat Clone AG: Weird looking wort/Belgian candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I just got done pitching the yeast into a carboy full of wort taken from an All-Grain recipe for Piraat Ale from the book "Clone Brews". In the recipe, it calls for 8 oz. of Belgian candi sugar, which I purchased at the LHBS, and came in hard "cube" form. The recipe called for this to be added to the beginning of the 90 minute boil.

I feel like my final batch size may be off by at least two quarts, and think I miscalculated grain absorption as 0.4, when in reality it is most likely 0.5.

I was looking for a OG of 1.101-1.102, my hydrometer read 1.104. The sample for the hydrometer looked like it had a lot of some type of sediment in it, which has now settled to the bottom. The weird part is the wort in the carboy. There is a lot of sediment dropping to the bottom. A lot. It is hanging near the top, though not at the top, and falling to the bottom, and the bottom half of the carboy is full of it. I used just under 2 oz. pellet hops total directly in the boil, and 17.5 lbs. of grain in the mash. I do full-boils, but do not strain out the sediment going into the carboy. Not sure how. i have taken a picture of the carboy, but not sure how to attach that to this message, either.

So, what is the sediment? Did I use the candi sugar correctly? Is my OG way too high (I pitched two smack packs of Wyeast Abbey Ale II)?

I guess we have to wait and see, and that's fine. I'm patient. But, I really want to tighten up my process, as well as add to my knowledge, which thanks to all of you has grown immensely. This is my 6th batch, and 4th AG. I have tried many varieties, but this is my first Tripel.

Any thoughts you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Okay.. this is coming from a noob.. but if you added the candi sugar in the boil, it's not the candi sugar.

More likely, it's the pellet hops settling, especially if it's greenish/slimey looking goop.

Fasten your seat belt and secure your belongings, it's going to get really ugly in the next 24 hours, I recommend a blowoff tube on your airlock :)

I LOVE Piraat. I hope it turns out well.

The sediment is hops, yeast and trub. Everything is fine. Just relax and have a homebrew. But, like the above poster said, watch it the next 24 hours. Things might get a little explosive. A blowoff tube might be a good idea!

Thanks! Makes sense. Should I be throwing all hop additions in the same mesh bag in the boil? I don't want risk losing more beer when I rack it to keg or secndRy before bottling. This stuff should be bottled, right. Also related to small batch size, what effect will my miscalculation on absorption and evaporation rates have on this finished product?

As for correcting those errors, accounting for grain absorption is easy. But I am not sure how to account for the water loss due to evaporation. Increase the sparge water so the total boil is 25% more than final batch size?

I keep a couple of mesh bags around, dumping the full boil and 30 minute additions into the same bag although it's a bit messy to do so. I keep a second bag for the aroma/finishing hops. I dump the Irish Moss right into the kettle since there's only a tiny amount of that.

As far as the boil off rate/percentages are concerned, there's a few threads on this board that discuss that. I think that typically you might see using 7 gallons of wort to produce 5.5 gallons to ferment, for a 60 minute boil. It's going to depend on the pot you're using as far as I've read.

Latest posts

Back