Wheat Beer Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can I make a starter for a wheat beer with barley DME (dark)?

I'm gearing up to make a starter for an American Wheat. Problem is I've only got enough wheat DME to fill the recipe requirements. I do, however, have a half pound or so of barley DME I could use. Will the combination of barley DME and American Hefe yeast (White Labs WLP320) clash in any way? Would it fark up the flavor of the wort when I add it?

you can make the starter with dark DME...
after your starter has fermented out, put it in the fridge for 24-48 hours to settle the yeast out. decant off the liquid and resuspend the yeast in your wheat wort...then pitch it.

DrewsBrews said:
Can I make a starter for a wheat beer with barley DME (dark)?

I'm gearing up to make a starter for an American Wheat. Problem is I've only got enough wheat DME to fill the recipe requirements. I do, however, have a half pound or so of barley DME I could use. Will the combination of barley DME and American Hefe yeast (White Labs WLP320) clash in any way? Would it fark up the flavor of the wort when I add it?

You cant spare a square...umm, i mean half a cup? 1.5 qt h20+1/2 cup dme will get you 1.040 starter which should suffice...Or just use the dark, and decant before pitching, no big whoop.

homebrewer_99 said:
I agree. The reason you were told to pour off the liquid is because you don't want it affecting your color.

You should always have some Extra Light DME on-hand.:D
Oh yeah... hadn't even thought about the effect on color. I'm just gonna do this one without a starter, since I'm brewing tomorrow. Don't have enough time for the yeast to get rolling and then settle out in the fridge to decant it.

Thanks for the input, fellas. I'll be sure to pick up some extra light DME for future use.

Latest posts

Back