My Cascadian is awesome... but why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamBrewer

Reaction score
Hi!

a couple of month ago I've brewed my first cascadian ale/black IPA/call it wherever you want.... Black beer with lots of American hops!

It turned out great! I'm going to summarise the recipe:

Maris otter as the base, some dark crystal malt and black malt ( black malt added just before mash out not during the mash).
I've Used Citra and centennial hops in the kettle and one week of dry hop with centennial, fermented with Wyast 1056 (ferm. temp about 21°C)
An extreme water was used both for mashing and sparging ( 200ppm ca++; 400ppm SO4-; 50ppm cl; 135ppm HCO3-)

I'm very proud of it but to be honest it is not really close to the style... it's very similar to Great Devide "yeti", and the thing that surprise me the most is the increbile roasty an chocolate like flavor you can taste! It s very smooth to be such a big beer with so much hops! ( IBUs >80 ).

Now... this beer taste more chocolaty than my chocolate stout... so here is my question: Is possible that the smooth chocolate flavor came out because of the late black malt addiction ( after mash conversion)? or maybe is becouse of the water I've used?

what do you think?

Back