D-Rest too early..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlm3

Reaction score
So about 10 days after pitching my 3L starter of Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager to my Bavarian Dunkel (NB kit) I removed it from my temp controlled fridge and placed it in my basement closet where it raised in temp to 66F. It was initially pitched at 46F and after about 4 days when fermentation appeared to be slowing I slowly raised it up to about 53F. When I moved it out of the fridge I was seeing one bubble ever 5 to 8 second. It's been in the closet for about 5 days now I think and I'm still seeing a bubble every 5 to 8 seconds. I was planning on brewing a doppelbock today and harvesting some yeast from this for that, but I'm going to put that off a week since this is still apparently going.

My question is, am I going to have off flavors from leaving my beer on this yeast for about 10 days above it's recommended temp? I'm thinking I should be okay since it was within and even at the lower end of the range during the first 10 days when the bulk of the fermentation occurred, just curios if anyone else has experienced raising the temp too early and having a never ending (apparently) fermentation. Cheers!

This is a great article:

http://beerme.com/diacetyl.php

You are right about the bulk of the fermentation occuring early, so you won't get ale off flavors:

"If you're brewing a lager, try this trick: start allowing the fermentation temperature to rise once the beer has fermented to half its original gravity. By that point, you're far enough into the fermentation that the yeast aren't going to generate any more “ale” characters (such as fruity esters) "

I'm still looking for a bubbles/minute to gravity points conversion table.

Buy a hydrometer; if you have one...use it.

Lol, the "bubbles per minute" table would be nice! I do have a hydrometer, I just generally only use it right before pitching and when packaging. Due to a combination of fear of contamination and laziness I rarely take gravity readings during fermentation.

Lol, the "bubbles per minute" table would be nice! I do have a hydrometer, I just generally only use it right before pitching and when packaging. Due to a combination of fear of contamination and laziness I rarely take gravity readings during fermentation.

I rarely take SG readings during fermentation, also. BUT if I'm making a lager, I usually take one when I think I"m ready for the diactyl rest so that I do it at approximately the right time.

Latest posts

Back