Speeding Up the Process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruDaddy

Reaction score
OK, I've really loved brewing (started in Jan), but now with summer here, I find that the time required to brew a batch gets in the way of all the other stuff I want and/or need to do. So I'm looking for some ways to speed up the brew day process. One thing that always seems to take forever is getting the wort to come to a boil. I brew stovetop and not ready to move to outdoor propane equipment. One thing I've thought might take some time off the brew clock is to steep grains in one pot while I start to bring my wort to a boil in a different pot. My thought is that while the steeping water is heating then the grains steeping, my wort is heating and possibly coming to a boil. Once I'm done steeping, I would remove the grains and then pour the grain-steeped water into the wort.

Any reason that this is a bad idea? Would it matter if the wort is already boiling or should I try to time it to be poured in before the boil starts (since the steeping water will be below boiling it would cool off the wort)?

Instead of bringing the second pot to a boil just bring it up to the 150F or so that you need to sparge (rinse) the malt off of your grains.

If you don't sparge you are wasting a lot of malt sugar from the grains.

I even sparge my hops.

Should work just fine. I batch sparge and start heating the first runnings immediately. If its a PM, I'll mix in the extract at that point. The 2nd & 3rd runnings get added to the kettle as they finish.

Back