What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked 5 gallons of my toasted stout into the keg and fertilized the hop plants. They're looking good but not ripe yet
20190325_121429.jpeg

Picked up my yearly supply of fertilizer and soil to finally transplant my 3rd year hop plants. I can at last start my own in ground garden at our new house and I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to seeing how the 3rd year goes. The labels were all sun bleached so I have no idea which plants are what. Oh well!

Closed transferred a Beantown Lager to keg and began lagering it. If the hydro sample is any indication it’s gonna be a good May Day.

Poured three qts of sterile water in the BrewBucket, swirled it up good, waited 10 min to let the chunks settle and drained off two qts to harvest the yeast.

Filled the Brewbucket with PBW to clean, mowed the yard, and poured a pint of Dortmunder Export to chillax.

Last edited:
Ordered 2lbs of Mosaic leaf from YVH (on sale for $12/lb!), haven't had any for yonks and it's what makes our house IPA terrific. Won't be here in time for this weekend but will do up a SmASH with it next weekend.

Tapped a Cashmere blonde and a Medusa pale ale. First time with the new setup and 2 beers on at once, it's awesome.

As a side note, I swapped out the one tap tower for a new 2 tap version, and the foam issue that I'd learned to live with is gone.

Oh, let's see... I got my bottles sanitized to bottle my blonde stout tomorrow. I picked up 55# of pilsner malt and 10# of flaked rice and barley. Seems my LHBS ordered just the rice but received it mixed with flaked barley so he discounted it 70%... Yay! I was thinking of using it in a cream ale or a frankenbeer of some description.

It will be beer... Oh yes, it will be beer!

Brewed up the Bastard clone this morning which is now happily building a huge krausen 8 hours later. And just finished demolishing a lovely bone-in New york steak the husband brought home for me to cook with some steamed asparagus and baked potatoes. Washed down with almost-fully-carbed WF lager that tastes fantastic. Oh yes a good day.

Set my carbed dry English stout to serving pressure, cleaned a keg and transferred a dry hopped German altbier to it from another one with a stuck dip tube due to the hops and cleared the obstruction. Prepped to brew my sour ale for Sunday and have a starter of lactobacillus brevis going. Made a filter with a muslin bag to transfer it cleanly.
20190331_000313.jpeg
20190330_202325.jpeg

Cleaned the keg and tapline from the beer that kicked yesterday. Kegged and put the red rye on tap. Got great attenuation, but still needs to clear up some.

Brewed a bitter. Cleaned up the brewery a bit. Looks a little better... Still too much non-brewery stuff.

Drinking a maibock. Probably could use a couple more weeks lagering. Still good. I need to save it to share.

Checking inventory. Might need to use some older grain. I think I might brew an Irish Red instead and save the grain for another day.

Just got home from second job to a text from the brewpub boss....who just got his glycol chiller up and running and is asking ME how to brew a lager. Promised to work this weekend to help brew it up. Also opened the ferment fridge to gloat over the two beers brewed this weekend that are happily chugging away.

Latest posts

Back