First Lager bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Bottling time is coming up for my first lager and it has been sitting at near freezing for almost six weeks in the fridge. Did the yeast settle out to the point where I'd have to add more yeast to get the bottles to carb, or should there still be enough yeast in suspension, or carried over during racking, to carb the bottles?

So should I bring up the temp of the beer before racking, or should I let the temp rise in the bottles?

So should I bring up the temp of the beer before racking, or should I let the temp rise in the bottles?

Well, that really depends. I find it easier to bottle the beer at room temp, because then I don't have to calculate the correct ammount of priming sugar based on the amount of co2 already in solution. You need to use less sugar if you are carbing the beer cold. But you'll need to calculate it. It is easier just to let the beer warm up to around 70 which is pretty much the temp that the 4.5-5 ounces of sugar that comes with kits is based on.

Back