Anyone use the paint strainer bag for racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I have started using the 5 gallon mesh paint strainer bags when racking into my keg. I stick it all the way down in the keg, run my siphon line all the way to the bottom and rack away. Seems to help keep some of the hops and trub out, especially when there is no seconday.
Anyone do this, or have a similar method?

Sounds like a great idea for post boil as well. I am never patient enough to do a proper whirlpool so anything that makes life fast for me is good.

Never done it, sounds like a horrible idea...

J/K

I use a few of them when I drain from keggle to carboy... Keeps most of the cooties out...

PS GunnerMan: great quote...

I have started using the 5 gallon mesh paint strainer bags when racking into my keg. I stick it all the way down in the keg, run my siphon line all the way to the bottom and rack away. Seems to help keep some of the hops and trub out, especially when there is no seconday.
Anyone do this, or have a similar method?

I do this but a little bit differently. Instead of using a 5 gallon strainer bag I use a small hop bag http://morebeer.com/view_product/15685/102209/Bag_-_6_x_8_Fine_Mesh

I tie this to the end of my auto siphon that is in the carboy and this helps keep hops out when I dry hop. I am sure it will achieve the same results if you are kegging from a primary since they filter about the same, just a different way of going about it (I also have the 5 gallon painters bags I use at different stages.)

I'd worry about aeration if you're siphoning into the bag, but if you put it way down in so it basically lined the inside of the vessel you're siphoning into, it might be ok.

I've though about doing this when transferring into my primary rather than my usual method of pouring through a strainer. One quick pour and then pull out the bag with all the hops and debris. With the strainer, I have to stop to empty it 3 or 4 times.

I've though about doing this when transferring into my primary rather than my usual method of pouring through a strainer. One quick pour and then pull out the bag with all the hops and debris. With the strainer, I have to stop to empty it 3 or 4 times.

The 5 gallon bag works great if you use an immersion chiller and you want to keep the cold break in the kettle. Fit the bag over the chiller and then put the chiller back in the kettle. Then rack the wort that forms inside the chiller that filters through the strainer bag. I have used the same paint strainer bag over a funnel and you do have to empty it several times but this way works way better plus you aerate the wort by racking into primary.

I secure the strainer bag over the input end of the autosiphon, when racking a dry-hopped, cold-crashed primary to keg. I have only done it twice, but it has worked well thus far.

You know I wont say this too loud as it is kinda weird but go to the shop and buy yourself some *new* pantyhose and give them a good long nice boil to extarct any coloring etc that is added.... Now that is a trub strainer.....

The 5 gallon bag works great if you use an immersion chiller and you want to keep the cold break in the kettle. Fit the bag over the chiller and then put the chiller back in the kettle. Then rack the wort that forms inside the chiller that filters through the strainer bag. I have used the same paint strainer bag over a funnel and you do have to empty it several times but this way works way better plus you aerate the wort by racking into primary.

I don't use an IC, but I use bucket type fermenters, so it wouldn't be a problem to just pour it through the strainer bag when I transfer. My daughter already holds the strainer in place for me, so she could just hold the bag in place just the same. Think I'm gonna do this. Hell, I could probably use the same bag I use for my mash!

I don't use an IC, but I use bucket type fermenters, so it wouldn't be a problem to just pour it through the strainer bag when I transfer. My daughter already holds the strainer in place for me, so she could just hold the bag in place just the same. Think I'm gonna do this. Hell, I could probably use the same bag I use for my mash!

I have done this before, the only problem is that the strainer bag gets clogged when you start pouring in the cold break.....you may have to move the strainer a couple of times so you avoid clogs or use more than 1 strainer. The benefits are def worth the hassle tho.

I use the 5 gal. type on my bucket type fermenters. If you use a bungee cord to secure the strainer bag to the bucket, you can pour the contents of the the kettle directly into the fermenter. This way, you can get rid of the hop and cold break materials, and give your wort a nice aeration at the same time.

I use some "shear curtain" material from the fabrics store to line my strainer when I transfer from boiling pot to primary. It works great to keep most debris out of the fermenter!

The only time I did something like this was when I used pellet hops to dry hop and wasn't patient enough to let them all drop out. I ended up putting a hop bag over the end of the racking cane which worked pretty well actually.

Since I moved to kegging, I think I would rather just rack at carefully as possible and then add some gelatin to get the stuff to drop out and stay on the bottom.

I use these and I think they work GREAT! I have an immersion chiller so after I've brought the temp down in the kettle, I open the spigot (or I could dump or rack) into my bucket fermenter with the paint strainer attached. The paint strainer (from Lowes at least) has an elastic that will fit over the bucket. When using my spigot there was no concern with the paint strainer falling in. Once everything is in the fermenter, I lift out the strainer and let the excess wort drip out. It's great at filtering out hop sludge and break material, simple, effective, cheap, and reusable! :ban:

I use the 5 gal. type on my bucket type fermenters. If you use a bungee cord to secure the strainer bag to the bucket, you can pour the contents of the the kettle directly into the fermenter. This way, you can get rid of the hop and cold break materials, and give your wort a nice aeration at the same time.

Why waste a bungee cord when I have child labor? :ban:

You know I wont say this too loud as it is kinda weird but go to the shop and buy yourself some *new* pantyhose and give them a good long nice boil to extarct any coloring etc that is added.... Now that is a trub strainer.....

Spew beer on computer screen hahahaha. That is funny @#$% my friend, how did this idea ever come about? Hell if it works that is all that matters.....

Back